Chapter 17: A Giant Red Heart.

One day, the snow just stopped falling. The sun began to show a little more into the middle of February. Everything was okay, though it was not okay at the same time.

Asher slept beside in my bed in the small apartment Ellie and I shared together. He was curled up on the opposite side of the bed while I dressed myself to go to my classes. It had been like this for the past two weeks; Asher stayed at my place every day and night as I ventured out to attend my classes and get essential things. He was there when I came back, but he wasn't lively.

I understood completely, but I hated it. He talked it out to me sometimes, and sometimes he would even cry. Most of the time he tried to hide it, but it was hard to do. We spent our days together and our nights cuddling and trying to keep the broken parts from falling apart farther.

We never had the chance to talk about our relationship. Maybe it was because I was too scared of what he'd say, too scared of the heartbreak again. Or maybe we were both avoiding it because of the situation.

Asher didn't sing anymore. He didn't sing in the shower now, he didn't hum to the songs that come on the radio or TV.

I finally had to turn away from his sleeping body and leave for my art class. Mr. Roswell was kind to me about my current situation. He explained that his first love passed away when she was only 20. I teared up a bit at the memory of the funeral and the feeling I had and the thought of Mr. Roswell feeling the same way.

He proceeded to give me an easy day in class by allowing me to paint freely on my canvas. It made me feel better to get my hands dirty in different colors. By the end of the class they looked like I had wrung out a rainbow with my bare hands.

"Don't forget about your projects I assigned you at the beginning of the year! They are due very soon!" He announced to everyone before he dismissed us.

I had completely forgotten about the project. I had to bring to life the one thing that kept me going, kept me from quitting. I had a couple weeks left to do it, but I was still having trouble figuring out what I was supposed to paint – and how I was supposed to bring it life.

Asher wasn't home when I got there. I searched throughout the apartment before realizing there was a text on my phone from him that was sent at least an hour ago.

I went out for a little while. Be back soon.

I sucked in a deep breath and relaxed a little. I worried that he was going to leave and go live by himself where I wouldn't be able to watch him and take care of him. I know I sounded like the mother of a two-year-old, but that's what people do for the ones they love. They watch over them and care for them with every inch of their soul.

Before I could make myself comfortable on the couch where I planned to release all the stress built up in my veins, there was a knock on the door. Sighing and heaving myself up, I walked over – more like dragged myself – to the door to answer it.

Quentin stood in my doorway with a contemplating expression etched on his face.

"Uh, hey?" I shouldn't have been shocked to see him considering the band was supposed to be preparing for their next tour.

"You sound happy to see me," he mumbled as he walked inside. He sounded sullen, like something had already happened to him.

"You look happy to see me," I replied as I shut the door behind him. "What brings you to my neck of the woods? Or, well, buildings..."

"I want to meet your brother. I want to hear everything he knows and just... I need to, Bea. I need closure."

Well, that was subtle.