Chapter 13: Ouiser Boudeaux

"I'll be back right after New Year's," Asher said to me over the phone. He was currently packing his things up, causing our conversation to be slightly muffled at times.

"Okay," I replied, propping myself up in my bed with my laptop setting on my lap. "Just promise me that you'll do something with your mom. Take her sledding, build a snowman, go skiing. Just do something. Get her out of the house."

"I will, Bea. I will," he reassured me. "Oh, and Ben is coming in from California with Mia. I think they're going to come see you and then come Pennsylvania."

I nodded my head. "So I get to deal with Grayson and Ben at the same time?"

"I'm sorry," he chuckled. "As far as I know, Grayson is leaving, too. So you won't have to deal with them for too long."

A part of me was saddened by this. Ellie was also leaving in the next few days to go visit her family in Georgia. I'll have the entire apartment to myself. When Ben, Mia, and Grayson leave, I will really be alone. My dad was not on my list to visit this holiday because he and I haven't spoken since our dinner. Luke hasn't responded to any of my messages; and my mother is off doing her own thing. Whether she contacts me with anything, I don't know.

Me being myself, I bought them each something special. No matter how mad I can get at my family, I can't forget that this season is meant for giving. When I was younger, we celebrated the birth of Jesus more than we did when I grew older and my family started to fall apart.

I still knew the holiday belonged to Jesus, and I wished I could go back to the days when it was spent with my grandma and both of my parents. But I couldn't, so the only thing I decided I could do was to give to other people.

"Still there?" Asher asked after a moment of silence from me.

"Oh - yeah. I was just thinking about what I would do with my lonesome self," I said bluntly.

"I told you you could come with me. My family is your family, Bea," he said matter-of-factly.

"You need to spend time with your family. I'll be fine." I opened my bedroom door and walked out into the living room where Ellie was sprawled out on the couch. "I have some business to take care of anyway." The thought of dealing with an angry Luke, mother, and father, made me cringe.

"Don't do anything to get yourself in trouble," Asher laughed. I rolled my eyes at the wall.

"Like I'd even hurt a fly," I told him, accepting aloud that I was a wimp not capable of doing anything to would hurt anyone else. "But, um, can we talk when you get back?"

"Trust me, I know. And yeah, of course." I laughed at his response and wished him the best on his trip.

"I looove you, Beatrice," he drug out the word love.

"I looove you too, Asher," I replied and we hung up.

Ellie turned to look at me, pointing a finger towards her mouth to make it look like she was gagging. "Really? I had to witness all that?"

"Do you realize what I witnessed of you and Gray-" She jumped up to cover my mouth with her hand before I could finish my sentence.

"Yes, I know, you've reminded me at least fifteen times since we got back."

I shrugged my shoulders and joined her on the couch for yet another rerun of Steel Magnolias, Ellie's favorite movie of all time. I liked it, but once you've seen it that many times, it gets a little old.

But, like a good best friend, I huddled underneath a fuzzy blanket with her and watched Ouiser Boudreaux yank her hefty St. Bernard around. She was my favorite, and that was never changing.