Chapter 18: Decisions, Decisions.

His insomnia was not getting better with the recent events that have entered our lives. I've never seen someone think so much and have nothing to say. I couldn't see into his mind, but it was like I could feel it and I could see it in his eyes.

Sleeping next to him made it all the more real. I remained turned on my side, facing the wall so I couldn't see him as he twisted and turned. He would throw his arm around me gently and pull me closer to him, then he'd remove it and flop onto his belly, onto his back, or onto his side. I knew I was supposed to be helping him sleep better, but I could only do so much.

Eventually, I rolled around to see him lying on his back, one arm resting on his head and the other by his side. I pressed my hand against his cheek and rolled his head to look at me while his arm fell away. His eyes opened without struggle; he wasn't even tired.

"My brain is wired, Bea." His voice made me jump from his lack of quietness.

"Turn it off, Asher," I whispered, trying hard to keep myself awake. "Just pretend like you're the only person in the world. You live on an island with lots of coconuts and you have no worries."

He scoffed. "Yeah, that'd be nice."

"Asher-" I attempted.

"I couldn't just live on coconuts. I would have to have meat and some veggies, and maybe some pudding. I'd also die of boredom," he chattered. I closed my eyes and forced myself not to strangle him.

"Fine, there's a big farm behind all the palm trees with lots of cows and pigs and a big garden full of tomatoes, potatoes, and green beans. You can even have a lifetime supply of pudding. No worries, Asher. No worries." I wanted to badly to just drift off...

"That would suck. You'd have to be there with me, at least. I'd die without you," he murmured seductively next to my ear.

I smiled sleepily. "That's so sweet – Now go to sleep," I mumbled dryly. I flipped myself over to my initial position and pressed my back against him. With my hands folded under my cheek, I began to fall into sleep.

**

I looked up at the tall glass building that seemed to intimidate me. In golden letters, the words Gold Records were attached to the building. Asher stood beside me and I could practically hear his heart hammering against his chest.

"Are you sure you want to do this?" I asked him hesitantly. He made this decision on his own, I just comforted him.

"I'm sure. It just feels like this is what I need to do," I replied. I knew I shouldn't persuade him, but I felt the opposite of his decision. He needed music like I needed art; without it he wouldn't be the same.

I took his hand in mine as we entered the building and were immediately greeted by random people. They stared at us and they smiled at us, probably shocked to us together.

Neither of us said a word as we entered the empty elevator and travelled to the sixth floor where the recording studio was. I couldn't stop thinking about how quickly things had changed in just a few months. It felt as if I wasn't even present for most of the time. Everything was a blur, and I hated that.

We slowly walked up to the door where Asher was eager to knock on the door and get everything over with. He knew he was going to catch heat from this, and not just from his bandmates – from his fans, too.

"Wait, Asher." I breathed, grabbing his shoulders and turning him towards me.

Don't do this, you'll regret it. You need this more than you'll ever know.

"What, Bea?" He asked, a little impatiently. I dropped my hands from his shoulders.

"Whatever happens, I'm still here, okay? I'm not leaving." I wrapped my arms around his neck, holding his close to me.