Post-Caleb

After reading his note, I couldn't help but let the tears in my eyes flow out. He will come around, maybe not now but there will be a time he will come around.

Rohan and I were getting along pretty nice so far I guess, I can't say I like him in the romantic sense but he definitely was being a good friend. Soon after we returned from Joe's the party started in full swing. My childhood friend, Sam who has never really been in touch with me for a while showed up. When ever we meet, we talk as if we haven't really forgot about each other. I never trusted him, so I never told him about Cal or the numerous people in college.

"Hey, Trisha" He greeted me giving me a once over. Last time he saw me at my house was four years ago in a half-saree, now he is seeing me in a full saree displaying my full and admittedly nice figure.

"Hey. How's life?" I asked trying to keep up the casual talk. I really didn't want to speak to anyone, much less someone who wished he'd rather be else where. But I knew him since he was a kid. He liked to cheer me up when I felt down, he just saw it in my face. I liked him and I'm sure he liked me too in a siblings sense but he never bothered to keep in touch with me as we don't really live close by so I decided to not bother with him.

"Good. Back from college, so a little bored"

"Already, huh?" He was grinning pretty broad.

"Oh, you know the usual. Friday nights we turned up so hard."

"I could imagine. I am glad at least your living it up" I gave him my bitter sweet smile. He knew something was up.

"How are you, huh? Finally graduated. Congrats by the way!" he high-fived me.

"I've been pretty good just busy, but I guess starting tomorrow I'll be pretty free."

"Don't you have like a job or something?"

"Yeah, but I don't start until a couple weeks later" He nodded to me as if my life couldn't sound more boring. I glanced to the side when I felt someone approaching us- it was Rohan. Uh-Oh.

"And who might this little chimp be?" He asked. I gave him the shut-up-before-I-Punch-you look.

"Who is this?" Sam asked me. He didn't like his ego getting bursted either.

"Guys, this is Sam and Sam this is Rohan. We know each other since diaper days" I explained to Rohan. I let out a breath I was holding. I had no clue how to explain Rohan to Sam. I excused my self from the boys to handle a few errands, but Sam quickly caught up with me.

"He's your fiance? How could you not tell me that?" He seemed furious. I passed on a tray for him to hold before answering him.

"Shut up before I have to knock you down and since when were you oh so interested in my life?" I've been dying to ask this question and now seemed more perfect than ever.

"Are you serious?"

"Ok, fine I'll just ignore the fact you never text me, call me or even say anything until we see each other at these petty parties. I didn't tell you because he isn't my finace. He is just my boyfriend I guess. We are dating for a couple months before we see if are fit for each other."

"Oh, what happened to that guy on Instagram? The white one? You guys seemed pretty close."

I didn't answer him and pretended I didn't hear him.

"I want to say something to you. I don't know how much it will change, but you don't look all that happy for someone who is hosting a party or for someone with a boyfriend or for someone who just graduated. And I honestly don't know what happened, but even I can tell you're not happy after not speaking to you forever. If my guess is right, it is about this marriage. That guy Roshan or what ever his name was." I was surprised he caught on so easily and he never forgets someone's name right after meeting them. That in itself showed his dislike towards Rohan. I guess I forgot to tell you we can understand each other pretty well. "You should've dormed. You missed out on your entire life and finally when you have some air to breath your parents are taking it straight out of your lungs. What are you going to do now? Keep being the good girl and sacrificing everything to keep them happy?"

When Sam noticed this much in me, I had to think about it. Of course, there is no way my decision is going to change but he had a point.

"But Rohan will keep me happy Sam. You know he was Theta Tau? He gets that social life you thought I missed. The only thing I will really be missing with his is casual hook ups to be honest, but I'll experience everything you did just better. Instead of clogged and cheap basement parties, I'll be going to a night club. He'll let me be free because he gets me and he apparently really likes me so I can't really say no. He is the perfect guy for me. Over time I'll learn to love him."

"How are you so sure he won't betray you?"

"What do you mean? I don't have his money or even come close to complementing his looks. Why would he come after me for a different motive?"

"You never know Trisha. For all you know, he can pretend to like you now and then make you a slave afterwards." He did have a point.

"Sam I might be a good girl in the general sense, but don't take me for a weak girl."

"I am not! Don't you see? You are beautiful! Seriously, since the last time I saw you like damn girl what happened to you? So, what if he only like you for the looks?"

"Sam its a long story. I'll tell you just not now. I have to be a hostess now or I'm getting my limbs chopped up."

After a long day of greeting and meeting people who congratulated me, I was tired and wanted to change my clothes. I convinced my mom to let me change into a more simple and comfortable Indian outfit.

I saw Sam waiting for me in our garage and I sat there with him and explained to him about Cal and how Rohan was being a good friend throughout.

"You know Trisha, I can never believe you are for real. I am confused now. So do you actually love Caleb as a friend or more?"

"Somewhere in between"

"If you are trying to be a martyr or something, stop because you are leaving someone who is willing to give you his entire world to you."

"Sam don't you see? I don't have one guy doing that for me, I have two! And if choosing one means I have to give up my world, I don't think that is negotiable."

He stayed quiet obviously thinking low of my choice.

"I know what I did is wrong ok? I know I wasn't fair to Caleb, but he is moving on and he understands."

"Oh yeah? Well, let me know when you forget him and then we can have a real talk."

He got up and abruptly left. I had to prove him wrong. I don't know how but I will.