Six Months Later...

The plane ride to India was damn exhausting. I didn't get to sleep much on the plane as I spent the time catching up on both Hollywood and Bollywood movies. I was just happy my marriage wasn't actually until four days later, but I knew the preparations will take a toll on me. 

Once we landed, me and Rohan separated. He went to his town and I went to mine. Our families decided to pay for the marriage together so they rented out a really nice hotel by Hyderabad. I have yet to see the place, but I knew it would look beautiful. I told them I wanted a gold and red themed wedding but I really did not want to see the result because I know they never listen to me. What was the use of even asking me?

The first day I spent with Nisha and Felecia, who came to stay with me. They knew I wasn't into this marriage but they didn't say anything. Like me, they too learned that staying silent and going along was the best way to swim in this murky situation. My mehendi function went fabulous and the next day Sangeet was also fun. The place my parents picked was just magnificent, it was a huge resort with separate accommodations to the guests.

 I had to wake up early that morning for all our marriage rituals, because in India it is more holy than just  the union of two people. I had to sit in the tangible chill of the early rays with a petticoat and had yellow turmeric paste. It might be a ritual, but it adds a slight glow to the bride. True to its powers, I did look a little better than I did after a golden facial and waxing. Next, I had to wore and saree and had to pray. My dad once told me, "your life might be currently painted with colors, but beware they will fade and burn into darkness". At that time, he was referring to my friends as the colors and the darkness as the post-graduation life with different people. But he failed to realize that the colors can apply to literally every small thing that will ever make me happy, and one of it is my independence to make my decisions. At least I was better off than some girls, I was give my dream: a choice to marry the guy I wanted and not forced upon. Perhaps some may think Rohan was coerced to date me, but I am grateful I met someone who can love me to the moon and back. Discarding all the ominous feelings, I went to my bedroom where there was a makeup artist and a bunch of my friends including my mom and grandmother and important family members. I told them all to get out save my friends, and my young aunt. I didn't want her here either because my friends were trying to tell me something and she was a red flag planted in the middle of us.

"Que tal? [What's up?]" I asked Felicia trying to place my four year Spanish training to use.  

"Yo tengo una carta de tu amigo da la universidad [I have a letter from your university male friend]" She was confusing. What friend could she possibly referring to that should escape my aunty's ears? As far as I knew, I invited my dearest male friends. Some of them are currently sitting in their plus seats watching the groom do a puja(prayer). 

"¿Cuál es la primera letra de su nombre ? [What is the first letter of his name?]" This processes would've been much easier in Hindi, which I can actually sort of manage to speak and understand, but only Nisha could speak it and unfortunately my aunty knew how to speak Hindi, Telugu and English.

"What are you guys talking about?" My aunt butted in before I could find out. I gave Nisha a pointed look hoping she would understand my reprimand for not distracting my aunt. 

"Oh, sh*it! Look at the time!" Nisha exclaimed. "Trish, you better start getting ready now." 

"Alright, aunt you need to get out. I would rather not see you here and Nisha can help me with the Saree and I need Felecia for makeup judgement." My aunt shook her head as if she didn't want to buy it. "Oh come on! I am not stripping in front of you. I stripped in front of them before but definitely not you. Just wait outside with the make-up girl, ok? I'll literally call you in a second."