Stranger Danger

Trying to act casual, I folded my cap and gown to place it in my closet. And he chuckled. Confused, I turned back.

"What?" I asked trying to level my voice. If I am going to explain my erratic, it could take a whole other book. Lets just say I am a bit icky with talking to boys. I mean I have guy friends, guys who I blatantly flirted with, but I always feel awkward talking to somewhat cute guys. 

"Nothing, you like Ellison?" He asked staring at my bookshelf.

"Excuse me?" I was a bit confused. I don't know any Ellison.

"Ralph Ellsion?" My blank look must've spoke for me. "The Invisible Man? You have it here." He pointed vaguely at my modest book collection.

Oh. That.

"Yeah, had to read that for a class in high school, but yes I really like it. It was a really good book although a bit cooky at places."

"I ready it in college actually. I just picked it up one day and decided to read it."

"What? You read?" My hand immediately slapped my mouth shut before I could utter anymore crap. He looked offended and amused at the same time.

"Yes. I actually do. Why? What were you thinking?" There he is again so diplomatic and perfectly handling the situation despite my clumsiness.

"I don't know, but I didn't peg you as the kind of guy to read to be honest."

"Then what did you peg me as?" He took a step closer to me. Feeling uncomfortable, I slowly made my way to sit on my bed.

"Ok do not get offended because my opinion of you has drastically changed in the last half hour." He nodded indicating me to go on. "I frankly thought you were the 'party but still do amazing in school' kinda kid and would probably reject me because I don't look like I'm going to a rave. I was actually expecting you to say you didn't like this marriage was probably forced by your parents and that would might want me to say no because you might already have a girlfriend, which you are trying to announce to your parents--"

I felt his hands hold my shoulders. I peeked at his smirking face.

"Whoa there. That is a lot to assume about me. Just so you know none of that is true. I was actually a commuter and didn't really get that experience. And no I do not have a girlfriend. So calm down tiger."

We ended up staring at each other for a while and I broke the trance by snorting and laughing like I went crazy. I caught him grinning at me too.

"Ok, ok...sorry. I just- I don't know you look good and usually good looking guys in college- well, you know..."

He stared at me as if I just uttered a profanity.

"Did you just call me hot without actually calling me hot?" He winked at me.

I scoffed, "Please, you are not making this any better for your self. Lets just get down to this. There is no way I am agreeing to marry a guy who will claim to fall in love with me in five minutes of alone conversation. "

"Agreed. I am not ready for that kind of risk either." I glanced at him. I find it funny how he is talking about marriage like a business deal.

"So I suggest you tell them", I pointed down "that you are not ready to marry me until you can date me for a few months and if that does work out great we can plan the marriage else we can cut it. The only reason I don't want to say it is because your mom looks like she will strangle me if I say another word out of my place."

He smiled and nodded, "I know. Frankly, you were in your place you know? I am not the dominant kind of guy. Ok, maybe I am, but I never thought about how much you would have to sacrifice to adjust to my kind of life style. I am actually very glad you spoke out. If not, I would've been one very unhappy man. I don't want a slave, I want a wife. You are totally right."

I felt warm in my chest he likes my views and treats me like his equal. I can see us going somewhere.

"Thank you. So, how old are you?" I asked.

"I'm just twenty four. Are you ok with that?" I dont' know why but this  guy is making me smile more than I usually smile. And I smile a lot.

"Yeah, three years age gap is nothing! My parents are ten years apart."

"Oh, damn that's crazy. What are you plans for the future?"

This question is tricky. I didn't really know how to explain to him that-

"I never really saw a partner in my future- just me. I want to find a job here for a year and finish my Masters and move to California. What about you?"

"Well, I already finished my masters. I am actually a project manager at Merck." I felt so tiny compared to his achievements. "I guess I am already settled with that so I never really thought about moving."

"Oh." I looked down trying think of how to reject him. No one- I mean no one can ruin my dream. Even if that no one is actually quite tall and handsome as hell. 

"I can see if my company will let me transfer. They have to. I mean I can always try a diffe-"

My head shot up to see him trying to figure out what he was thinking.

"You would do that for me?" I asked hoping he would understand what it meant. 

"Yeah, why not? Cali does sound nice for a change." 

I smiled at him. 

"You have no idea how much that means to me. Let's go down before my dad come in with a shotgun"

He chuckled and walked down with me. Our families were fervently conversing like there is no tomorrow. They didn't even notice us walking to them. Even my brother seemed engaged with-

"Whats you brothers name?" I whisper-asked Rohan.

"Ramesh, why?"

"Just cause"

Rohan fake coughed to interrupt what seemed to be end-of-the-world serious conversations.

"Oh, good what did you guys decide?" Ram (nickname for Ramesh) asked. 

"We need more time. Give us a few months time to decide. Uncle," He spoke to my dad. "I know you might not feel ok with me asking that, but me and Trisha don't want to jump in. We want to see if we are right for each other."

No one really spoke, even Ram seemed like he was trying not to side with anyone although he gave me a silent wink. It wasn't really his turn to speak. Rohan was essentially asking my dad for permission to date me and usually the parents decide that. 

"I don't see anything wrong in it" My father-in-law broke the silence. "Kids these days are much worse than your daughter. I don't mind giving them time. After all,  your daughter doesn't seem like she would appreciate a place where she feels she belongs rather than a strangers home. What do you say Rao?" 

"Well, if thats what they want." 

My mom nodded, "Yes, let them have some time."

My mother in law didn't seem too cozy with idea, but she was forced to nod. I could already see where our relationship is heading. Just to rub it into her face, I smiled at Rohan who actually smiled back.

Our first victory.