15. Just a One Time Thing: Part 1

Start from the beginning

"Nothing major, I just need your help putting the packets for physicals together. You know printing them out, putting them in order, and stapling them. I would do it, but I'm getting the maps and stuff ready for Gut Week." The woman's last sentence made me sigh. I hate Gut Week. It's hell. Pure fucking hell.

"Oh don't sigh Burrows. You're a beast during Gut Week. Your group always comes out on top. I think I should make it a little harder this year though because it doesn't seem to faze you." The woman said and my mouth dropped open.

"Coach, please tell me you're kidding." I said causing the woman to laugh as we walked up the steps.

"I'm just messing with you. Intensifying Gut Week means more work for me and quite frankly, I'm tired as hell from getting everything prepared for this season." The woman said opening the door to her office. It smelled so good in here.

"Thank God." I said following the woman into her office and closing the door behind me. It smelled like vanilla.

"So how was your summer, minus the part about you breaking your ankle?" The woman asked and I smiled remembering the quality time I got to spend with my family.

"It was amazing. I really missed my family, so being able to go back home and see them made me really happy." I said which caused the woman to smile.

I didn't really get to see my parents during the school year because I lived all the way in Ontario, Canada. Toronto to be more specific. On some breaks I just stay on campus because I hate planes. There were a few times when I just hung out with Coach Young at her place since she lives close to campus. All of my teammates usually go back home, so I get lonely. Now that my brother is here too, I don't know how things will go.

"So I'm guessing you're happy that your little brother will be playing basketball here too. Coach Turner won't shut up about that kid. The beast must be in your blood." The woman said and I laughed.

"I wouldn't say I was happy about it-"

"Oh shut up. Don't play the "I hate my little brother card with me." I know it's a load of bull." The woman said cutting me off.

"Okay fine. I'm really happy that he's here. I pretty much begged him to come. I honestly just needed some familiarity here and our guys team is really good. He'll fall in perfectly with them, that is if he doesn't out shine them." I said speaking highly of my brother's skills.

"That's more like it." The woman said laughing.

"Yeah, I can't wait for the season to start. It's going to be nice finally seeing him play with people on his level. He out-shined the guys on his high school team so badly that it was like people just came to see him play. He got moved up to varsity before he even reached high school. I didn't even know that was legal." I said laughing.

"Well you did the same thing." The woman pointed out.

"I only practiced with them though. I didn't actually get to play with them until my freshman year." I clarified.

"You were a beast too. The moment I saw you play, I knew coach was going to want you. You were a little clumsy your freshman year, but as you got older, you learned how to control you body and speed better. You were seriously unstoppable. I remember watching one girl cry out of frustration when she was guarding you." The woman said laughing at the memory. She was just a player that got to tag along with the coaches then, but I'm guessing she's always wanted to coach.

"I remember that game. We beat that team 71 to 1 and that one point they got was because one of my teammates got a stupid foul at the end. My coach didn't even let us press that entire game. We probably would have scored a hundred if he wouldn't have made the starters sit out the entire second half." I said shaking my head. I was out for blood those days.