If This is What it Takes

Start from the beginning

Just thinking about loosing Shawn in any sort of way made me want to cry. I knew I would get over this, that I would be able to end with these feelings that are brewing inside of me eventually. So I had to ask Shawn to help me in this. To help me keep this friendship alive. So that's why I said what I said.

"I... Yes, of course. Don't worry, I promise you that our friendship won't be ruined."

A huge wave of relief washed over me, and I can't remember ever feeling so relieved. Wiping the tears that had been threatening to fall out of my eyes, I smile. "Thank you Shawn, really. I couldn't have had a better best friend."

He smiles back. I don't know why, though, I have the vague impression that it was a sad smile. "And I couldn't have a better one either."

***

"Sadie, you're back! How was it?" Bailey asks, as she sees me entering our room.

It was fun. We went to Ellen's Stardust. We ate ice cream, and we had a lot of fun. We kissed.

"It was fun." I answer, forcing a smile to my lips. Bailey and Ella seem to have believed it, but I knew that if I was giving this smile to Shawn, he would have noticed something wrong.

"That's just it?" Ella asks, kind of disappointed with my answer. I nod.

"Nice jacket." Bailey states, and I notice that his jacket was still around me. It still was very wet from the rain, so I layed it on top of a little table there was in the room to let it dry. Tomorrow I had to remember to take it with me so I could give it back to him.

Even though I wanted to hop in the shower and take off these soaked clothes, I really wanted to talk to someone about everything. I knew that if I kept it in, I would eventually explode. Of course, in normal situations, I would have gone straight to Shawn. But I couldn't talk to him about this, could I? And even though I loved Ella and Bailey, I just didn't feel like I should tell them. They would probably make the awkwardness between Shawn and I even greater.

But there was one person that I could count on.

"Have you guys talked to Violet today?" I ask.

"Yeah, we just ended our facetime with her. I think you can still talk to her if you try." Bailey answers, and I nod.

"Thanks."

I sit on the edge of my bed and take out my phone, immediately typing in a message.

Sadie: Vi? Are you there?

A few minutes after the text was sent she still didn't answer, so I start to think she has gone to sleep already. Just as I was going to give up, my screen lights up.

Violet: Sadie! I'm sorry, my little bro stole my phone. How was it?

Sadie: It was... eventful

Violet: What do u mean?

Sadie: I really need to sort some things out, and I need your opinion, if u don't mind

Violet: All ears! Well, in this case, eyes

Sadie: Well, everything was going extremely well, until this thing happened and...