Snowy Days and Phone Calls

I waited impatiently by the front door, watching the snow falling outside the living room window.

"DAN! HURRY UP!" I whined and waited for him to finish changing into his jacket and boots.

"Alright, alright I'm ready" He laughed and we left the apartment, hand in hand. It had been years since I last remembered seeing snow and I was full of excitement.

"Lucky Phil being on holiday with his family in the sun, you owe me big time" he grumbled and I giggled knowing how much Dan hated the cold.

"Shut up you baby" I said and we made to the front doors of the building, pushing them and instantly being hit with the frozen England air. Snow fell from the sky and piled on the London streets making it look like we were walking on clouds. Children ran past us, throwing snowballs and bumping into grumpy business men.

"It's beautiful" I gaped and gripped Dan's hand tighter, wanting to enjoy this moment with him.

"Yeah, okay maybe it is" He gave in and I looked at him, his eyes scanning our surroundings.

"I love you" I whispered and Dan grinned, making eye contact. I could see the reflection of snow in his eyes and I had to stop myself from staring.

"I love you more" He said and leaned in, closing his eyes. I quickly leant down and grabbed a pile of snow and before he couldn't register what was happening I slapped the ice onto his left cheek.

"Darcy!" He yelled and his mouth formed an 'o' shape. I laughed and made a run for it, probably blending in with the young children doing the same.

"You're gonna get it" He threatened and I could hear him laughing as I tried to get as far away from him as possible.

"Never!" I shouted back, laughing before entering the park. I was so used to going there that I must have done it absentmindedly.

"GOTCHA" His voice shouted as he wrapped his arms around my waist and picked me up, spinning be around from behind. I could hardly contain my laugher and as he placed me back down I had to catch my breath.

"I hate you" I said and punched Dan lightly on the arm.  He laughed and reached to grab my hand, holding it firmly as we wandered around the nearby streets, grabbing coffee and just enjoying each other's company.

As days flew past and my life got happier and happier, I collected my courage, and with Dan by my side, I finally got to painting that picture again. Nothing happened, which was great and I was pretty sure it never would again. So I painted, and painted and painted. I finally got into the habit of waking up every morning, beside Dan, and my routine would always include painting. It was a dear hobby of mine, probably my greatest. It was something that=at didn't require stress, or rules or any form of negativity.

It was about a month later, when my simplistic, yet delightful, routine was changed. I had a call from the police and to be completely honest, I wasn't expecting it.

"Good afternoon Darcy Thompson, London Police here, yesterday night at twelve pm, a man in this thirties was caught, fitting the description you provided of the man convicted of kidnapping you several months ago. With your approval and agreement, the man will be taken to court in three days, being imprisoned for up to twenty five years. If this man is the man who kidnapped you, your case is over" I felt like dropping the phone. I was completely overwhelmed.I felt like screaming. I felt like crying, because FINALLY that tiny weight still holding me back might be lifted. Finally, finally I may have complete and utter peace in my life.

Finally.