Progress, Pizza and Pain

Darcy’s P.O.V

After our trip to the mall, life was becoming a lot easier and I didn’t have to constantly keep asking Phil to borrow things. I framed two of my favourite pictures from the photo album, the picture of my parents and I still in its original frame. I also had my first proper shower with proper girly soap which was wonderful as in the hospital, I could only be washed once I was able to stand and even still, a nurse would have to assist me at all times. Since living in the apartment, Phil would stay outside the door which was unlocked in case I tripped or hurt myself, and would constantly ask if I was okay.

I got out of the shower, feeling relaxed and clean. Phil had left me to it today on my own, although he did insist I keep the door unlocked, which I did.

“Done!” I shouted and wrapped the crisp towel around my thin waist. I was gaining weight slowly, though I knew it would take a while until I would be a healthy size again.

“Do you need help with anything?” Phil yelled from the hallway.

“No, I’m fine!” I shouted quickly. After drying my body, placing my underwear on and then the rest of my clothes, I opened the door, letting some of the steam out. I also walked over to the window, opening that too. I next dried and combed my think hair which was looking much healthier than when I was first awake in the hospital.

“Darcy? Dan and I have the BBC show tonight. We are going to be really busy so I thought maybe I could rent some DVDs for you to watch while we are away?” I smiled even though Phil couldn’t see me. He was always thinking of me and after the orphanage and the last four years, I felt like I needed it.

“No, it’s okay! You have a massive DVD collection as it is. Besides, I’m fine with just watching TV while you’re out” There was no response so I assumed Phil was continuing with his work. I didn’t like interrupting him, it made me feel like I was just annoying him. Whenever I asked for something off Phil and Dan was around, he would glare at me and sometimes leave the room. I hadn’t talked to him since he walked in on me using Phil’s laptop. Majority of each day he was locked away in his bedroom, which Phil didn’t seem to think was any different to normal. But each time I did see him I would get butterflies in my tummy, I didn’t mention it though, if Phil knew I had a small thing for his best friend he would be horrified.

I had eaten lunch and was watching the music channel for a few hours until Phil decided to pop out to buy us some pizza for dinner.

A random music video appeared on the screen and I watched it intently, secretly hoping Dan would come out of his room and talk to me whilst Phil was gone. Though, I already knew that wouldn’t happen. I knew he disliked me the day I started living with him and Phil.

After a few minutes my mind trailed on to think about Phil’s trip to America in two days. It was his mother’s birthday and he had bought a ticket to America specifically to spend time with his family. Even if I had been invited and wanted to go, I couldn’t, I was not yet fully recovered and the doctor wouldn’t allow me to fly overseas. Staying alone with Dan could potentially give us an opportunity to talk though, and I was looking forward to maybe finally speaking with him properly.

“Give me the remote” A serious voice ordered from behind me. I spun around and was met by Dan’s messy hair and wide eyes. Even still, I found him unbelievably attractive.

“Uh… here” I said, not wanting to frustrate him or keep him waiting any longer.

I held the remote out and it was snatched out my hand without a simple thanks. I sighed and watched Dan flop onto the couch like he did a few days ago. I turned my attention back to the TV which was now showing a random show I wasn’t familiar with. Dan flicked channels for a few minutes then went back to the original one, I never took my eyes off the TV. He groaned in frustration and I finally looked over at him.

“You okay?” I asked. He glared over at me for a second before looking back at the TV, the annoyed expression still planted on his face. I guess he really didn’t like what was on.

The TV shadowed our awkward silence before Dan eventually stood up and threw the remote at me. It hit my stomach causing me to yelp. Dan ignored me and trailed back to his room, making sure to slam the door extremely hard. I groaned in pain, and began to lift my shirt to see if it had a made a mark.

“PIZZA!” I heard a happy voice say from the front door. I quickly dropped my shirt and stood up, faking a smile at Phil who carried three boxes of pizza into the kitchen.

“Hello! Yours is on the table” Phil said and rushed a box into Dan’s room. I heard Dan and Phil have a quick conversation before Phil waddled back in and sat beside me with his pizza. We ate as Phil explained their evening plan.

“The radio show is on in just over an hour, Dan and I will be out the door soon. You okay with staying here a few hours by yourself?” I nodded, watching Phil stuff another piece in his mouth.

The boys left after a quarter of an hour later, leaving me with some time to myself. Phil had given me a painfully bone crushing hug knowing this was the first time I had been alone in a while, though it hurt considerably more due to Dan’s actions earlier that evening.  I entered the bathroom and pulled up my shirt to see where Dan had thrown the remote. There was a giant red patch of skin where it had hit and I winced as my hand made contact with it. Why had he done that?