Mason started awake and jumped to his feet alert and looking around. I giggled and stood laying a hand calmly on his shoulder. He looked down at me and I said, "It's okay, it's just the pizza delivery guy." The ready-for-a-fight look in his eyes faded and I removed my hand from his shoulder. Mason nodded and sat back down on the couch with a huff.

I walked to the door and opened it. My heart instantly sunk and I tensed.

There stood Daniel holding two pizza boxes. I wrinkled my nose when he smiled at me. Daniel was in my grade at school and was a total—to be brief—pervert. His brown hair was a mess and his rat-like brown eyes smiled cruelly when he said, "Hey Amber." I crossed my arms in return.

He grinned and said, "That'll be eleven-fifty." I hurried to the kitchen and grabbed some money. I returned and handed him the money trying to ignore the way he was staring at me.

He was about to hand over the pizza when he stopped and said slyly, "You know this is a lot of pizza for one girl." He smirked at me.

I frowned and retorted, "So?" Daniel smiled wider and looked me up and down in a way that made my stomach heave.

"So, how about I come in and help you finish it. I can see your parents aren't home maybe afterwards we could go to your room and..." Daniel started grinning.

"No!" I yelled. I felt like I was going to throw up.

Daniel put the pizzas down and stepped closer to me and ran his hand down my arm, "Come on Amber," he said, "you know you want me." I felt his breath ruffling my hair—too close—and I pushed him away. He frowned and was about to come at me when a voice made him freeze.

"Touch her again and you'll wish you were dead." I almost didn't recognize Mason's voice, it sounded so deadly. In a matter of seconds, I felt strong warm arms wrap around my waist. I couldn't help but feel relieved as I leaned back against Mason.

"Did he hurt you?" Mason growled in a soft angry voice and I shook my head.

"I'm fine—just—make him leave." I said and my voice shook a little bit.

"Go." Mason growled and pushed me inside the house. I walked over to the couch and sat down. My hands shook.

I could hear what sounded like punches then groans and then Mason's enraged animalistic voice say, "Get out of here, if I ever catch you messing with her again I'll fucking kill you."

I heard the crunching of feet hitting snow and after a little while the door opened and Mason stepped inside carrying the pizza boxes. He shut the door with his foot and walked over to me putting the pizza boxes on the coffee table before sitting beside me. He looked over at me with dark eyes and sighed, "He's gone..." I found myself wanting to feel him against me again to feel his arms around me and I threw myself at him feeling tears run down my face.

Mason growled softly and I felt fear spread through me. I began to pull away but his arms wrapped around my waist and pulled me closer. My eyes shut slowly as he rubbed my back with tentative—almost gentle—hands. I laid my head on his chest and found myself listening to his strong steady heartbeat. My hands slid along his chest and they were going to wrap around his neck when Mason growled. I froze.

"Don't do that." He said I looked up at him and blinked away my tears. His face held no emotion.

"What?" I asked truly wondering what he was talking about.

"Touch me—don't touch me like that." He huffed in a rough voice and his hands were still on my back.

"Fine—but first get your hands off me." I said and Mason tensed. He pulled away and leaned back on the couch with a growl. I scoffed and grabbed a slice of pizza from the box. Surprisingly it was still warm.