Then I paused for a moment – Nina bugged me about going to parties I wasn't invited to happened nearly every other week – it took all my energy to say no to her, so maybe this deal would be better for me in the long term. I mean an hour wouldn't kill, would it?

"So if I say yes, I am saying yes to 'hanging out' for an hour tops at the Cafe where you and Matt will be too?"

"Hmm-hmm."

I made a small strangled cry and finally nodded. Jeremy Jordan is the quiet snob of Falls High School. He does not speak to anyone apart from a small group of intellectual beings. He doesn't even know who I am. Nina whistled lowly.

"Oh God, that boy is so damn fine," she said raising her eyebrows at someone behind me. I shifted to see who she was referring to, grinning at her tone. Aiden was standing with Diego besides him, both turned slightly so we could admire their side profile.

Who was she looking at? Diego or Aiden?

This was the first time I'd Aiden in a week and it was affecting me a lot more than I thought it would have. His eyes brushed over me completely as they assessed the canteen calculatingly - not even pausing once. It was as though I didn't even exist, the jerk.

"Which one?"

Nina fell silent. I looked over, slightly bemused. She shook my head at me, muttering that she was only joking, but I felt her eyes flicker in that direction again, and I was certain it wasn't Aiden she was staring at.
********

I'm pretty sure I was stuck in a detention – all lunch I was distracted with thoughts of Aiden and Jeremy and Nina and Kayla and I hadn't been able to revise properly. But try telling your Spanish teacher that. I stalked over to the Cafe, hovering at the doorway awkwardly.

Someone grabbed my shoulders from behind and I had silent heart attack as I turned, arms raised to punch someone. Nina snorted.

"Oh, I got you good!" Matt, her date, grinned down at her before smiling at me kindly.

"That wasn't funny," I muttered under my breath. "I could have seriously messed you up, Nina. I've been learning MMA, you know?"

"Oh come on Ap, it was a joke. Getting ready for my Halloween scare!" Then she grew serious. "And you learn off YouTube Ap, how good can you be?"

"Good enough to fight you," I joked.

Matt addressed me now. "April? You're the one my brother's going on a date with?"

"Yeah, she's the one," Nina replied for me, winking when Matt wasn't looking. I rolled my eyes. We aren't going on a 'date' – we're 'hanging out.' He gave me an approving nod and grinned in the distance at someone. Jeremy Jordan walking towards us, an unhappy grimace plastered on his face. He ignored me and Nina completely.

"Why the hell am I here Matt?" Jeremy asked quietly.

"April here is going on a date with you," Matt replied, pointing at me.

"No way." He replied, sniffing and doing a mini hair flick.

Well I don't want to be here either. After 10 minutes of Matt and Jeremy having 'words' which resulted in Matt raising his voice and Jeremy sticking his hand up at Matt and telling him to 'talk to the hand' they came back to me and Nina.

The next hour of my life was singly and most possibly the most awkward ever. We avoided eye contact and barely made conversation, so we sat in silence slurping our drinks and playing with our napkins instead, watching the time go by.