Chapter 18

<-------  Vote, comment please------

 © 2011 Carol Nieves

It was passed nine at night when I made it back to Dani's house. We talked on the phone for a little bit while I was at the park, but I needed to talk to her face to face.

I didn't wanted our parents pass to affect our friendship. It had been a long hard road to get to the point we were at right now, friendship wise.

What if she thinks that I was just like my father? What if she thinks that I will end up betraying her? What do Martha and Mr. Ellison really think about me and my friendship with Dani?

So many possibilities. So many outcomes to this situation. Not all of them good.

All I kept thinking on my way there was, "I can't lose her! Not now."

I didn't know why, but just the thought of her not being part of my life hurted. So much that I couldn't even explain it. When did I become so attached to her?

I was attracted to her for years. But I really never had any kind of hope for anything more. Now, I was feeling this pressure inside my chest, I couldn't explained it. It felt like someone was pushing my chest from the outside and there was nowhere to go. I never felt this before.

When Martha opened the door I asked her if Mr. Ellison was home and if it was possible for us to have a meeting.

"All of us, including you Martha." She looked surprised. I'm sure she wasn't expecting that. But she was part of this family! Not by blood, but by bonds that ran deeper, Love.

Martha went to get them and directed us to a room that it was a cross between office and a library. There was a desk close to a window. And three of the walls had built in bookshelves. It was paradise for the book lovers.

Mr. Ellison was the first one to break the silence.

"What's the matter kid? Please don't tell me that you got my little girl pregnant?" And he looked serious. Martha gasped and covered her mouth. They could not be serious right?

I laughed humorlessly and shook my head no. "No, no pregnancy going on. I haven't even kissed your daughter Mr. Ellison." Ok, why did I say that. Not that I wasn't dying to kiss her, but what were the chances of that? None!

We talked about the picture. I told them what my parent's side of the story was. I told them that I had zero idea and that I was oblivious to all of it. That I didn't have any kind of ulterior motives to befriend not just Danielle, but the rest of them as well.

To my surprise, Mr. Ellison confirmed that what my parents told me was the truth. That my father committed fraud against him and his company. Which put at risk years of his family's hard work, sweat, and tears.

Most importantly, he told me that the material cost wasn't as bad as the pain of his best friend's betrayal. He even solved a mystery for me. My scholarship. Now I knew who pays for my education.

"Gabriella always loved your mother and you. When she got back in touch with Sarah, she decided to set up a trust fund in your name. I'm not going to lie to you kid, I wasn't pleased by it. Not because of you, because you are innocent and a victim of all of this." When he said that he looked at Martha who was nodding her head in agreement.

"My problem was with your dad. I was concerned with your trust fund ending on our dad's hands somehow. I don't have anything against you kid, as a matter of fact I like you a lot." He looked at Danielle with a sad smile.

"I'm even tempted to say that I owe you. My little girl is happier now that you are part of her life."

I looked at Dani. She was crimson red, blushing. She was trying to look anywhere but me.