Chapter 2

I know its moving a little bit slow but the action will start soon. Give this story a chance. Its about a real problem that affects millions of people.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

© 2011 Carol Nieves

All the rushing to get to the classroom in time and the teacher wasn't even there yet. Everybody was just chatting in little groups around our homeroom. I started walking  down the aisle to my usual spot. My eyes wandered to the last row of seats  close to the window, and there she was just like every other day. Sitting by herself  not paying attention to anything that is going on around the room. She looks so beautiful. Her golden hair is a little bit curled up today, her eyes are surrounded by black eyeliner and it making her  blue eyes stand out. Even though I know is a lost cause I just wonder if today is the day she will look at me? Doubt it. So much for wishful thinking.
When I finally made it to my seat I turned to my left and said hi to my friend Jenna. She is funny, easy to talk to and we have been in the same class since the  7th grade.
"Hey Jen!"
She touched her heart like something was hurting there and said,  "Hay  is for horses Cam, I didn't know I looked that bad today."
I had to laugh at that. Jenna is a pretty girl and she is cool, "You look good Jen, Let's do this all over again, Hi Jenna how are you doing this marvelous morning?"
" I'm doing good even though I don't find anything marvelous as you say  about this morning, I hate Mondays!"
She got that right, what if the week started with Tuesdays will I hate it the same way? Probably. "I feel you, I'd rather be in bed sleeping."  As if on cue, I yawned.
We continue talking about a new band that she was into when  I saw Nick on my peripheral making his way to Danielle. She looked up and gave  him a little smile.I was so confused all of the sudden. That's new. She never smiles, not anymore.
They were talking about something. I was trying really hard to hear anything or bits and pieces of that conversation.  It was impossible due to Jenna running her mouth. I really wanted to tell her to zip it but I didn't  wanted  to be rude, it's not her fault that I  was trying to be nosy trying to  listen to the conversation that was taking place a few seats to my right. It was at moments like this that I really would've love super hearing powers. I should feel  ashamed, how low can a guy go just to pick up crumbs of a private conversation? I needed  to stop the nonsense because at the end of the day no one is good enough for her, not even her best friend Nicholas.
The teacher finally made it into our homeroom and started to take attendance. Nick went back to his seat but before he reached it he turned around and looked  again towards Danielle. For a brief second, there was this longing in the way he looked at her. It wasn't a desire kind of longing, it was as if something he once had was now missing. It made me feel very uncomfortable, like I witnessed something that was supposed to be unnoticed. I heard him say " We will talk about it later.  I still can't believe it!"
He still can't believe what? Ugh, I hate this sick obsession. That piece of conversation was going to consume me today, no doubt about it. The perks of unrequited love, or unrequited like, crush or whatever. I don't think there is a name or label to describe what I feel for her.
I needed to move on. Go find one of those fine girls that are always throwing themselves around. A few kisses and make out sessions wouldn't do anyone any harm. I will feel like an ass after, no doubt about it. But what the hell. That's  just what I need at the moment. Having made my mind,  my hunt for willing girls was set to start just after first period. I have a few candidates in mind. But my mind and my heart are not in sync these days, because as I'm was making a mental list of  candidates for  "make me forget about the cold hearted princess project" my eyes were making their way to my right, to that row of sits  by the window. To take one last look at her . Yes I need another girl now before I go insane. I didn't know a crush on someone could be this sickening, it almost hurts.
"Jeez Camden you need to get laid, and not just you and your hand, you need the real deal."  I not a phycologist or anything but is common knowledge that when you start talking about yourself in the third person there is some major issues up in your head.
I was so caught up in my thoughts that I didn't even realized I said that out loud until Jenna talked again.   " Are you talking to me Camden?"
Thankfully she didn't heard  my inner monologue. I don't want to be seen like a tool. Im one of the good guys, or so I like to think. Darn hormones. Faking a smile I said   " Nah I was just thinking out loud."  I don't think she believed me, but she let it go. I looked back at teacher trying to avoid the questions that I'm sure she wanted to ask.
I was a man on a mission by the time homeroom  was over. I was scanning the hallways trying to find a girl willing to help a guy in need; ME. It didn't took long.
  "Hello Cammy!" someone said.
  "Oh, Hello Nicole." It must be my lucky day. I didn't even have to walk that far before the perfect distraction came right at me.
  Nicole Williams is in her sophomore year. Very pretty girl with straight blond hair that goes down to her shoulders. Nice body too. She knows her way around. I'm not saying she is a slut, or easy. Nothing like that.  I'd rather say she is unlucky in the romance department and she hasn't found the one.
It was now or never, I needed to take that first steps. I needed to move on.
  "Want to sit with me and the guys at lunch Sweetie?" Did I just called her  Sweetie? Seriously Sweetie? I'm pathetic. I heard that voice that we all hear in our heads, my mom says is your conscience talking, " not pathetic, you are just not that type of guy".
She was extremely surprised. I know she will say yes. There's something about younger girls liking the older guys at school. I'm not sure why. Girls are very difficult creatures to understand 98% of the time.
  "Sure Cammy."
  "Well meet me at the cafeteria, I will be waiting." I winked at her as she turned around giggling.
  Why do I feel awful? I'm not the player type. I take relationships seriously. That's probably why I have only had one girlfriend. But it  didn't work out. She was a nice, beautiful girl. but there was something missing. That spark, that ache, that need to be with that person. It was better to end that relationship. I can honestly say that I did tried to make it work. But I blamed her. She was in the back of my mind at all times. Danielle.
  I had all of the sudden a feeling of uneasiness. I just can't explain it.  When your day  is going to turnaround and be one of those days, a day when everything goes bad and then go from bad to worse. How do they call it, Murphy's law? yes i have that feeling.
Our first class was History. To be fair Mr. Henderson was a  really good teacher. You have to possess a special talent or passion to make an extremely boring class interesting.  But he was a pervert. I can see lust in his eyes when he looks at some of the girls, Danielle included. I'm not being biased here because he looks at at My Danielle in a certain way.  Others have noticed too. The way his eyes followed her ass. I get it, she is beautiful but she can be his daughter. Maybe not his daughter cause he is not old enough to be her father, but he is like 12 years older than us and it's not very professional of him to be so openly drooling over her or any other girl for that matter.
  Is in this class when I finally get to sit right next to my bro Mathew. If someone ever asks me if I have a best friend or BFF or however girls called it, that would be Matt. He is the only one that knows about the real me. He knows my parents, he knows about the scholarship, and he knows about a certain girl.
  "Hey dude, how's it going?"  he says as we do  that weird fist bump thing.
  "Same old crap. Barely made it this morning . I overslept again."
" I noticed. By the way, Nicole? I saw you talking to her in the hall. I don't want to get in your business but you know her right? Like really know her? She knows her way around if you know what I mean." He said with a concerned look on his face. I know there was no malice in his comment but it made me feel sick, because at the end of the day what was I doing? Using her too?
"Yeah man I know! I'm not looking for anything serious with her. I just need a distraction, I'm desperate here!"
Maybe Nicole is not an easy girl like the guys have said .  I know for a fact that we, the male population, like to talk shit and pretend. We  exaggerate and  make our stories bigger mostly with lies, just to look cool in front of the other guys.  Guess I will find out pretty soon if the rumors are true.
  " Just be careful. I don't want to see you moping around the corners later." and he laughed in my face. That bastard!
  " Have you ever seen me moping around the corners before?"
  " As a matter of fact.." I didn't let him finish.
" Just shut up!"
But of courses he  didn't shut his trap.  "Oh, what's wrong Cammy? Are you PMSing this morning?" laughing his ass off at me.
"A$$hole that was one time. One time ok, aren't you going to let that go already?" When we were in our sophomore year Danielle was out for two whole weeks. We never got the real story of what happened, but a lot of rumors were running around. From plastic surgery to kidnapping. All I know is that whatever it was it was bad because Nick missed one week of school too. At first I thought that they went on some sort of vacation or ran away together. But when he came back he was all gloomy and spacing out all the time. Even though we are friends I never got the courage to ask him what was going on. Not that he was going to tell me anyway, because other people did ask but all he kept saying was 'she will be back' and she did came back but no one knew what really happened. For those two weeks I was miserable.
Matt started to take his book and notebook out of his backpack before talking to me again.
" Yeah all because of your glacie princeps."
Ugh, not this again. "Really, Latin? You are really enjoying my misery today.  Remember what goes around comes around. Someday you are going to be the one moping around and I will be the one laughing at you punk!"
  He went back to look at teacher laughing and shaking his head. I wanted to be mad but  I laughed too  because in the end he was right. Do guys go through some sort of  PMS? Because today isn't the best of days. Ugh,who am I fooling here? I'm still trying to figure out why Danielle and Nick were talking all smiley and friendly this morning.
    As usual Mr. Henderson made the class interesting. We talked about why the US stick their nose in other countries business. That created a big debate with the pros and cons of that kind of actions. Of course he kept staring and trying to smile at Danielle and Anna, another girl in our class. But who cares?  Obviously Me.
    Just like that the morning flew by. It was time for lunch. I really wasn't looking forward to that. I don't really know what was I thinking when I opened my big mouth and invited Nicole to our table. The same table where Nick and Danielle sit as well. Even though she sits in the farthest corner of the table and she doesn't talk to anyone, she is still there. I don't think I thought this actions and its consequences throughout. Will she have a reaction to me inviting some random girl to sit with us? Not, she will probably think that I'm just like all the other guys. Way to go Camden.
    I needed to find a way to avoid going inside the cafeteria. I can tried to wait for her at the entrance of the cafeteria and asked  her to go spend some time by the basketball court and get something from the vending machine. That was my best idea as of now. The problem with that was  that she will probably think that I wanted to spend some alone time. That was the idea at the beginning, but as the day went by I wasn't so sure anymore.
    I was waiting by the cafeteria door when I felt I light push on my back. Surprise, surprise, it was Nick with Danielle right behind him. "What are you waiting here for Camden? Let's go inside."
And because I didn't wanted  to say that I was  waiting for a girl here while Danielle is right in front of me, I said the first thing that came  to my head.
"Actually I was waiting for you man. We need to set a date for the team meeting. Since some of the same guys play on both the football and basketball teams we can have just one meeting with both instead of two separate ones to talk about the same shit." Great, now I'm rambling. Did my rant made any sense?
" I was thinking the same thing.  Let's go! We can can come up with something while eating I'm starved"
  Great, while walking to the food line all I kept saying in my head was "Get a grip Camden, get a grip."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Please Comment vote give this story a chance.