Chapter 13

Read, Vote, Comment :-)

 © 2011 Carol Nieves

It wasn't until Thursday, that I gathered up enough courage to talk to Jenna. Regardless of if it was true or not, what Danielle said about Jenna liking me, I value our friendship and I didn't wanted to lose it because of a misunderstanding.

I was nervous. The palms of my hands sweaty and the temperature didn't have anything to do with it. . It was a normal cool fall day. My hands were sweating because I had a feeling that I was going to ruin a friendship. But Danielle was right, if Jenna had "more than friendly" feelings towards me, I needed to make things clear before she got hurt.

"Can we talk Jenna?"

"Sure, what's up?" Jenna was her happy self, and I was about to change that in three, two, one...

"I heard a rumor and I want to know if there is some truth to it." This was harder than I thought. I needed to find the right words. "Okay, wow, look let's get straight to the point." I look up at the ceiling, took a deep breath. "Someone told me that you like me, as in more than friends. I don't know if it's true or not but I just want you to know that you are special to me. I don't want to lose your friendship. You are a pretty girl, no, not pretty your a beautiful and you are cool but you are like a sister to me. Do you know what I mean?..."

Jenna's face could tell a story. My God Danielle was right. Jenna looked hurt. She wasn't expecting that and she was having a n inner battle. I imagined that she was selecting her words carefully and I was feeling like a jerk.

" I know you don't like me like that. How could you, when you are infatuated with the Barbie girl." she looked away trying to avoid my gaze.

"Jenna I'm so..." she interrupted me. "Don't say you are sorry. You don't need to feel sorry for anything, besides you were misinformed. I don't like you like that." She turned around and left, just like that. But it was too late. I had seen the truth on her face.

It was Friday and aside from feeling a little upset because Jenna has been avoiding me since yesterday, I was excited. Today was my "non date" date with Danielle. It wasn't easy to come up with and idea because of the circumstances of her sickness. But I had a good idea.

I went over everything one more time before picking her up, this afternoon needed to be perfect.

I chose to take her to a place that was dear to my heart. Dad used to take me there when I was a little boy. It has been years since the last time I went there. It was a secluded area and not a lot of people knew about it, which made it the perfect spot.

I thought I was going to have a hard time trying to get Danielle out of her house, knowing her fears and that all of this was new to her, but to my surprise she was ready and waiting.

She said that if she thought about it for a second longer she was going to cancel, so she just wanted to get it over with, without further thoughts.

Martha on the other hand was very reluctant to this outing. She gave me the house number, Mr. Ellison's office number, she even gave me the emergency number (911). "You take care of her young man. If anything happens you know what you have to do."

I went over to her and gave her a hug. Holding her hands in mine, I said. "Martha we will be fine, we are not going far from here. I will take care of her."

"I know, I trust you." She was trying to be nice, cool and collected but the way she looked at me said something else, 'if something happens to her I will kill you myself'.

We walked out of the house and I hesitated for a second. I should have asked Matt to let me use his car. Will she even get inside my car? My simple Ford Focus? She was driven to and from school on a fudging Maybach.