Alliances, New and Old

Author's note (Yes, you have to read this but I promise it's really short)

Let me know what you thought of Miranda! She will, of course, be a pretty major part of the story from now on, either though I am kinda nearing the end.

Okay, so I want help! I need to come up with a character name, something appropriate for an angel (I won't give you anymore hints about it, though, since that would give away part of the story!) Let me know what you come up with!

But first, enjoy this short chapter about the Count...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Governess smiled, regarding the Count with a new eye, “My lord, I see there is far more to you than you would have others believe.

                The Count nodded politely, “The same can be said for you, my lady. Now, may I ask if you will do it?”

                The Governess leaned back on her chair. The two were meeting in her private chateau, currently sitting on a balcony several stories up that overlooked a breath taking view of a mountainous landscape. The trees and flowers seemed almost painted on, even the birds daintily flitting by were supernaturally perfect. Then again, the Count knew that they could well be. This was where the Governess met people on a regular basis, so there was a strong chance that she had hired a nature spirit of some sort to make the scenery so perfect as the distract whoever she was meeting with. It was not going to work on him.

                He leaned forward in his perfectly stuffed recliner to take the glass of Champaign from the glass table. Even if he was never going to get sustenance from it, or the warm hum of drunkenness, he still enjoyed sipping the luxury expensive not only to show that he had enough influence to do such a thing, but also to remind himself of what it had been like to be human and able to enjoy such pleasures.

                The Governess’s perfect made-up smile increased slightly as she watched the drink reach her guest’s lips before she took a glass of her own, “I suppose that is the price of influence; always having an ulterior motive. I believe that you can measure a man’s potential by just how many motives he has for each action.”

                The Count nodded in agreement, “That is true, but the real test should be how few motives you can discover for each action. Which, of course, makes it rather difficult to find a man of true potential.”

                “Tell me then, my lord, what are some of the hidden motives of your request?” The Governess demanded, raising a sculpted eyebrow.

                The Count looked taken aback, “Why I thought they were obvious. You seem to be the only solution to a rather vexing problem of mine.”

                The Governess sighed, leaning forward and placing her Champaign flute back on the table, “Do not try to deceive me, my lord. It seems that every man who appears in front of me believes they can pull a veil over my eyes, and most times they drop that veil and run when they see exactly what I can do when they cannot see me. I must tell you, it is most tiring. You and I both know that I am not the only solution, just the most practical.”

                The Count’s lips twitched in a hidden smiled, “I do apologize. It is a thing of habit, you must understand. Very well, you wish to know a motive other than the other one? I was hoping that by securing your help, we could form an alliance of sorts.”

                “Do you mean to say that you and I do not already have an alliance?”

                “Oh, no. Our agreement is on firm ground. No, I meant an alliance between you and the other party. I am sure that in aiding them, you will secure loyalties that will help in future, for yourself and perhaps others involved.”

                To her credit, the Governess’s face did not even twitch, “I am afraid that you lost me with that last comment.”

                The Count raised an eyebrow, placing his flute on the table. There was a barely audible clink as the two glass surfaces touched before the Count continued, “Now, my lady, were you not the one just speaking of deceit? Both of us have our…plans. While I have mine in the boy, you have his counterpart, is that not correct?”

                “I see that you have found a way to infiltrate my home and my plans,” She replied levelly, her face still neutral, although the neutrality no longer seemed so natural.

                “It was a simple matter of logic, I assure you, my lady. As to the matter at hand, there a numerous ways in which my suggestion will aid you in reaching your ultimate goals, whatever they may be. So once again, I ask you if you will do it?”

                The Governess sighed, “You are, as always, a very shrewd man, my lord. As to your question, yes, I will do it.”

                The Count nodded, rose out his chair, and strode back inside, the overly perfect view starting to put him on edge, “Thank you, my lady.”

                As he strode through the elaborately decorated hallways of the Governess’s home, the Count found Trevor rushing to fall in step beside him.

“Did all go well, my lord?” The man asked nervously.

The Count sighed, he would have preferred to not have this discussion while still in the Governess’s home where the walls supposedly had ears, but as he secretary had already brought it up he saw no choice but to continue the threat and show that he had no fear of what anyone overheard, “Yes, Trevor, it did. Be sure to send words that the Governess shall do her part. How is our man in the kitchens doing?” He asked as an afterthought, referring to a spy he did not have.

“Very well sir, I saw him just today. He brings no new updates, however,” Trevor informed him, immediately picking up with the lie and playing along.

“Very good. Tell him to follow the plan as scheduled.”

“I will do, sir. And sir?"

"Yes?"

"Are you sure this is wise?"

The Count paused for the briefest of seconds, his stride barely interrupted, "No, Trevor, but it is smart."