Chapter 27

A/N: I am soooooooooo sorry for not adding onto this in such a long time! I've been super busy with end of the year stuff. As soon as summer comes, I'll definitely be adding onto this more often and hopefully finishing it soon. By the way, I may or may not do every other chapter switching between Sphynx and Brogan as the main characters. 

A loud whoosh of air escaped Sphynx as Annick gave him a direct hit to the stomach. Sphynx collapsed like a rag doll at the force and curled into a painful ball on the floor. Instinctively, he set an sparking, blue electric field around himself and when Annick tried to attack again he was zapped violently. Hissing, Annick drew back but didn't falter.

"Oh, so you're a coward now, are you? Get out of there and fight me, bastard!" Annick cried. 

But Sphynx refused to move. 

Fury rolled off of Annick like a thundercloud. Colorful sparks attacked Sphynx's defenses, sizzling and crackling. Sphynx writhed as his electric field started to give way under the enormous onslaught. Stars sparkled underneath his tightly shut eyelids as he neared unconsciousness. 

He couldn't bring himself to fight back. After so many years of living in a peaceful part of the forest, he hadn't needed to use his powers at all. He knew that if he activated his true inner powers, Annick would be extinguished from Earth. 

Beads of sweat popped out on his forehead and rolled onto the ground. The extreme exertion was swiftly draining all of his strength. Groaning, Sphynx desperately wished for Annick to stop but the attack only grew stronger. There was absolutely no way Annick was a half-breed, Sphynx thought, he had to be at least a three-quarters-breed...

With a cry, Annick was flung backward several hundred feet as a fiery bolt of black lightning hit him square in the chest. Immediately, Sphynx dropped his defenses and fell unconscious just as he saw Amber's worried face peering down at him. 

***

"Hey Sphynx, you might want to wake up now," came a voice.

Mumbling, Sphynx buried himself deeper into his nest of blankets. Roughly, the warmth was lost as someone dragged it off of him. 

"Kentucky! How much sleep do you need?" that someone exclaimed. 

Like a pile of bricks coming down on him, he remembered what had happened and leaped up, tripping over Pierre's foot and landing heavily on the table. Wincing, he got to his feet and took a scan of his surroundings. 

To be continued........