Chapter 7

"Sphynx?" Ione asked. "That sounds really familiar...."

Brogan, without warning, suddenly found himself in a flashback of his memory. It felt real, almost like he had just gone back in time, yet he could still feel himself in the dirt with Ione's hand on his shoulder.

"Brogan, hon, we've got to leave," Brogan heard someone say.

His mother. Her light, blonde hair cascaded off her shoulders to her waist. Light green eyes twinkled from the sunlight that filtered through the tree branches of the forest surrounding the Mythara's homeland. Though she was dressed in a pair of dark, plain jeans, a green windbreaker, and a pair of old converse (totally out of style but not to her), her beauty  shined brightly. She stood at about five feet and eight inches, slightly shorter than her husband. 

Brogan's father. Dark, curly-haired and muscular, he had an aura of power and superiority around him. His eyes were like Amber's eyes, a violet, purple color. In his palm was a dagger and sheath, the exact copy of the one Brogan carried in an intricate sheath around his waist. His face was rather long, with a slightly sharp nose. Brogan had his mother's eyes but his father's mess of dark hair and looks. 

"Why, Ma?" Brogan asked, reaching with his small hand and clasping hers. 

"Because times are changing, and we can't stay here anymore. Come on, let's leave! Say goodbye to Ione and Sphynx!" His mother said. 

Brogan toddled over on his three year-old legs to a younger version of Ione who was taller than him at the time. He gave her a swift hug, wrapping his arms around her skinny form, not comprehending that he was leaving for good. He turned to Sphynx and his sister Amber. Sphynx gave him a hug, wrapping his arms around so tightly that Brogan was nearly choking. 

"Enough, Phynx!" He cried, wrestling himself out of the older boy's arms.

"Sorry!" Sphynx mumbled. 

"Bye, you guys! Amber, behave yourself! We'll come back as soon as possible! I'll miss you!" Brogan's mother blew a kiss to the three kids.

"Sphynx, make sure your mother takes proper care of all you kids, got it?" Brogan's father said, patting Sphynx's back gently.

After they finished with their goodbyes and were soon in an old Porsche convertible, driving towards the town. 

"Daddy, when will we come back?" Brogan asked, tapping his father's shoulder from his seat. 

"I don't know, Brogan, but we'll come back sooner or later, we promise."

"I do know you," Brogan suddenly exclaimed.

"Of course you do! I am, or was, at least, almost your brother in the old days!" Sphynx chuckled.

Brogan frowned, focusing on the memory. "Why....why did we leave?" he asked quietly, slightly dreading the answer.

Sphynx darkened immediately. "That...well, I am not suppose to tell. But seeing that....you're here and everybody else is dead-"

"Dead? How?" Ione exclaimed.

"They were killed, taken for experimentation, by the man," Sphynx answered softly.