Chapter 21

Muffled screams reached Brogan's ears. He struggled against the vice-like grip of the man who was strangling him. Air, air. He needed air. Waves of dizziness crashed down on his head like an ax to a tree. Weaker, weaker...If he didn't get air soon he would suffocate. He tried to pry the man's hands off his throat to no avail. Panic filled him. Struggling even more fiercely, Brogan thrashed around in the man's hold. 

"I have her," came an unknown voice. 

After a pause and a cruel wrench at Brogan's neck, the man let go of his prisoner. Gasping on the ground, Brogan moaned softly. With only the use of his ears and nose, he could barely sense anything around him. Escaping was not an option, he wouldn't even make a hundred feet, or even fifty. All he could do was lay there, on the rocky ground, feeling powerless, defenseless, helpless, and terrified. He was utterly terrified. How could the humans go through this? A rush of emotions filled his heart and his eyes teared up. How could he, a Mythara, be so pitiful? He felt like an ant about to be squished by a giant human foot. Not fast enough, not able to do anything at all. 

Haziness filled his brain, he couldn't think properly. Then a soft whisper came. "Brogan."

Bolting upright, strength returned, Brogan instinctively tossed his senses out. "Ione! Ione!" he yelled in a raspy voice.

The man's evil laughter rang through his head. "Guards, secure him onto the chair!" 

Hands grabbed his arms and he battled against his captors. "Ione!" 

Sniffles. "Brogan," it was undoubtedly Ione's voice. 

"Agh!" A roar burst through Brogan and the guards could barely get him to sit on the chair. Suddenly, a  bolt of electricity tore through him and he gave another yell before collapsing onto the cold metal of the chair. A buzz filled his ear and fire raged inside of his chest. Barely able to hold his head up, he had no choice but to let his kidnappers cuff him to the chair. He felt cold metal tighten around his wrists, his ankles and around his knees. Somebody's rough hands held Brogan's head up and a band of metal was also placed around his forehead. 

"If you do not cooperate do know that I am not afraid to zap you again. Actually, I rather enjoy it," said the man. 

"I will never give in to you," murmured Brogan half-consciously.

The buzz in his head increased tremendously and he sagged in the chair. Yet, he was still aware of what he could be aware of. His body, however, did not respond. A great heaviness settled upon him. Was this how the man tortured the Mythara to death? Each and every one of his race? Was this the fate that was going to befall on him?

"Fifteen hundred volts!" hissed the man.

A shock ripped through him. Groaning, he could barely even think of Ione. Was she on the other side of the room? Maybe...

"Tell me where your sister is or I will increase the volts by five hundred. Tell me!" The man grabbed Brogan by the shirt, but could not yank him up for Brogan was still attached to the electric chair. Bargain, Brogan needed to bargain with the man. Wait, did the man just ask him where his sister was? His sister was alive? A spark of joy lit within him and gave him some more energy. But what if the man was lying? What if this was just some sort of trick? 

"I will never tell you," whispered Brogan. It was the wrong thing to say.

Another shock tore through his body, causing him to shake violently afterwards. Numbness filled his legs and weariness was like a heavy stone lying on his head.

"Tell me, or I will give you another five hundred volts!" snarled the man.

"Brogan, don't!" came Ione's weak voice.

"I don't know," muttered Brogan. Something hit his stomach, knocking the air out of him in a whoosh. Stars danced across the blackness behind his eyelids. Pain then spread through his body. Coughing, he slumped into the chair. 

"Oh, you know alright. You're lying!" The man's breath was close to Brogan's face. Daring to do the only method of defense he could think of, Brogan spat into the man's face. 

"You've lost your chance at survival." Shuffling and a door opening. The man called, "Stay at the same voltage and give him ten seconds of shock. Then give him the antidote. I'll go get the gun."

The man may think he has won this round, but he definitely isn't going to the next, though Brogan determinedly.