Chapter 9

Brogan stared at her. "But-but-but..!" he stammered.

Ione's eyebrows slanted up worriedly. "Dyrmian tactophrened me, but I was still asleep so I thought I was just having a nightmare...."

"But this morning you went to check on them and they were...?" 

"Gone. I tried tactophrening but they're not answering!" 

Brogan smashed his fist into the rock, giving out a yell of pain. "AGH! Why did this have to happen? We were so close to finding the Mythara's homeland!" Blood dripped off his bruised and scraped knuckles.

Ione winced as she saw his hand. "You shouldn't have done that..."

"What else do I do?!" Brogan shouted. "We can't go find them, judging by how powerful the man is as Sphynx described to us, we can't just dash off to find help and we're in the middle of nowhere! Even Sphynx is gone!" 

Brogan, Ione tactophrened him calmly. 

Brogan sank down onto the ground and leaned against a nearby tree, his face in his hands and his knees tucked close to his chest. He sighed deeply, trying to assess the situation. 

We could still look for the Mythara homeland. You were born there, so don't you have that thread your're connected to? 

Brogan looked up at her. "I never had  a strong connection to that place, I left so early in my age that I barely remember anything about it. I've mostly relied on Tanwyn to help me get there." Then he tactophrened, Weren't you born there? 

Yes, but same situation, I feel pretty much nothing. 

Ione felt horrible inside, a loss of her Ewynne. A deep, aching abyss that should have been there. 

Brogan groaned and was about to smash his fist into the tree when the tree's branches suddenly whipped down and caught his fist. He yelped in surprise and tried to back away but his hand was firmly stuck to the tree. Violently, he struggled to free himself. Ione appeared suddenly next to him with her powers and tugged at the branches entwined in a sort of cage around his hand. 

"What the golden fern?!" she cried, astonished. 

"I don't know about golden ferns but this tree just-just-just moved!" Brogan said, flabergasted. 

"Should we try cut-" 

Not sooner had she mentioned the word "cut" then a huge, thick branch shot out and wound around her waist and squeezed tightly. She shouted and reached for Brogan as she was lifted up higher into the branches.

"Ione!" Brogan shouted.

"Brogan! Watch out!"

He heard a whirring sound and twisted around to find himself facing a spinning, circular blade. This was no tree.