Chapter 19

"You do realize that you now have the ability to move?" 

Brogan's eyes snapped open and he bolted onto his feet. Yet as soon as he opened his eyes, he knew that the man had not given back his sight. Throwing out his conscience, he searched the room for his surroundings. Nothing. 

The man chuckled. "You really think I'd let you have your supernatural powers? Are you dumb?" 

Struggling to speak past the unseen barrier the man had put around his throat, Brogan rasped, "I will kill you for this."

"H'm, powerful words for one so young. I doubt you could even best my cat in your current circumstances. Which means that I would advise you to obey everything I tell you to," the man warned.

Like I will, Brogan retorted.

Oh, you will, trust me, the man replied. 

Sudden realization of what had just happened hit Brogan like a thunderbolt. 

"Surprised, are you? Do you know the real extent of what I can do? I could extinguish you and your entire race within milliseconds. You think you are an indestructible, don't you? Do you have any idea what I did to your ancestors? I will get what I want and you will comply."

Brogan lunged forward into nothingness. Fuming with anger, he punched the air, hoping to get a shot at the man. He could hear the man's uproarious laughter. Tripping over an unknown object, he landed heavily on his side. The ground felt like a rock bed. Something smashed itself onto his back and then retreated. Pain shot through Brogan's body. Unused to the extraordinary discomfort, he lay there on the ground, panting. Frustration washed over him and he warily got up. 

"So you realize what it feels like to be helpless now, don't you? This is how it feels to be human."

"You're-" Something else, buffeted Brogan from his side and he toppled over onto the ground again. "You're human," he whispered painfully. 

Confusion, anger, worry for Ione and the gryphons seeped deeper into Brogan's heart giving him utter grief. 

"Well, what did you think I was? Do not underestimate me, just because of my species. You were once like us, helpless, weak, pitiful. But we have risen. We have risen to be more powerful than your stupid Mythara. Who defeated your race? Humans. Those helpless, weak, pitiful beings that you look down upon."

"You haven't defeated us yet," Brogan muttered. 

The man grabbed him by the throat with one hand and lifted him off the ground. Brogan gurgled and struggled for air, clawing at the man's vice-like grip. "Oh, we'll see about that by the time I'm done with you." In a louder voice, the man called, "Send her in."