Chapter 16

He panted and leaned his weight meticulously on a small slab of rock, about half the size of his mud-encased foot. Shaggy chocolate hair fell into his eyes. Angrily, he took his knife and slashed his long bangs off, giving him an odd, lopsided look but sufficient enough to have a clear view of his surroundings. Wobbling slightly, he carefully made his way across the roaring river. To his right, only about twenty feet away, was the edge of a roaring waterfall. 

Sphynx knew, before Brogan and Ione were captured, that his plan was risky. The risk had tripled since plan 'A' had failed. Plan 'B' was slightly easier to execute, yet there were parts, such as crossing this mile wide river that were very dangerous. He didn't want to make anything more hazardous due to the fact that this wasn't just any waterfall he was crossing. This was the famous replica of the Niagra Falls, the largest man-made waterfall on Earth. After Niagra Falls had collapsed in the 2039 earthquake, the world had fallen into chaos and disaster. Luckily, Planet Nilo had been found, making evacuation of the humans easy, but also left Earth be taken over by the Man. 

Roaring of water filled Sphynx's ears, making it difficult to think. Even for a Mythara, there were limitations to powers, a lot more than one may think. The hybrid breed had only gone into existence in the early 21st century. 

"Blast my toenails to Pluto and back!" he cried, frustrated, as he saw that it was impossible to get across the river without flying.

"If only I could find someway to shield my power residue so that the Man can't track me down! Maybe if I turn back, run to somewhere faraway...maybe Greece? And then shoot myself into the outer layer of the atmosphere, I can reduce my power residue. But they might be dead by then. Agh! Why can't I figure out a wa-Ahhhhhhhhhhh!" 

The replica of the Niagra Falls rumbled slightly and Sphynx tumbled straight into the river.