Chapter 24

It's the next day. They just came to get me to go talk to my lawyer in a quiet room. When I get in there, there is a black guy dressed in a nice suit. He looks very clean shaven and professional. He's wearing glasses and he looks very educated.
   Officer Barnes rolls me to the table where he is and un cuffs me. He stands, shakes my hand, and sits. The officer leaves out the room and it's just us.
   " Hello Ms. McCall..", he says with a smile.
   " What's up? You can call me Dee."
   " Alright Dee. I'm Shaun Marshall. Let's get down to business.. There are no cameras in here so we can talk without any problems. I need you to be completely honest with me and I'm going to help you as much as I can."
   " Okay."
   " Alright. Now I know what kinds of things Jamal was into. We go way back. I know you were working for him. That I'm caught up on but I need to know exactly what happened the day you were arrested."
   " Okay.. So Jay called me to go make a drop with him. He said he needed me and Damien to go with him. We got to the spot and they showed up. I recognized my cousin Omar. I didn't know the other two. Right off the back, shit got shady. They went to exchange the money and weed and my cousin and the other dude put up their guns. Then the leader, I think his name is Kane.."
   " Wait Kane?"
   " Yeah. Tall, skinny, mixed dude.."
   " I know him. The feds have been chasing he and his brother for years. His brother got killed, I heard. Keep going..", he says writing in his note pad.
   " Yeah, so.. Kane starts getting hostile with Jay. Jay's trying to calm the situation and tells them to put their guns down before somebody gets hurt. Kane got them to lower them. They exchanged. When they started walking away, Jay turned to walk towards us and Kane turned and shot him. That's when shit got started. I tried to get Jay out the way because he was still alive but barely. I got shot in my arm. I didn't see who shot me but Damien opened up on them and grabbed Jay. I started shooting but I didn't hit nobody. We started running towards the car and they were following us. I called Anastasia and told her Jay got shot and to call the ambulance. We put Jay in the car and they were closing in. I saw a bullet hit Damien in the head and he dropped. I started to run and Omar rammed me against a brick wall. Then I felt a sharp pain in my back and everything started to fade. Omar was yelling at Kane. Omar had just noticed that it was me and he was upset that Kane shot me. I heard something drop beside me. I heard sirens and they ran off. That's all I remember before I woke up here.."
   " Wow.. That's crazy. I believe you though and I'm going to see what I can do. I'm going to try to get them to cut you a deal. They are talking life in prison but I'm not going to let that happen. I know the judge pretty well. He's a cool black dude. We go to court in 2 days. Kane is hard to get to but what's your cousin's full name? I'll get them to look into him and the other guy. Do you know his name?"
   " My cousin's name is Omar Felix McCall.. and I think the other guy might be named Jason. There is this girl who used to be friends with Omar in here. She used to run with them and I'm sure she could be of help but she needs a lawyer too. She goes by Chris. She's roomed with me."
   " Alright, I'll see what I can do. I need you to be on your best behavior and I'm going to get you out of here as soon as possible."
" Alright. Thanks man."
" No problem."
He goes and knocks on the door and an officer comes and gets me. She takes me back to my room and I talk to Chris about the lawyer.
" Yeah. I'll help you. You too good to be in here. Omar needs to go down. I don't know if they can get Kane but I'll help you. When this is done though, you need to get out of here. Shit, I'll go with you . This is going to be very dangerous. I hope you know what you've gotten yourself into."
" Yeah, I know. You don't have to put yourself in anymore danger if you don't want to."
" I'm good. I was always in danger.", she laughs.