Chapter 12

"I'll have a blueberry muffin please," Judy asked at the counter. There wasn't many at the cafe, so at least she could relax. Taking her muffin to the table, she sat down with a sigh. Things had been so difficult for her lately, but she had to carry on. Nick didn't want to be with her, and she just needed to accept that. If Nick liked her and she didn't, she wouldn't give in. Nibbling on her muffin, she looked out the window, seeing all the parents taking their children to school. It had always been a dream of hers to start a family of her own some day, but right now she was too young.
Judy finished off the remains of her muffin and left the cafe for morning roll call. Today they would need to give the information they received from Roxy to Bogo. And there's another thing.
Roxy.
Nick wanted to be with her. Who knows, they could be dating in a week. The thought made Judy tear up, so she tried to set her mind on something else.
As she walked into the registration room, Nick was already there. Reluctantly, she sat beside him, but didn't look at him. If she was to sit at the other side of the room and make it look obvious, she would cause more trouble for herself than she already had.
By the end of roll call, Bogo walked over to the pair. "Okay, so tell me, what information did you get from Roxy?" Bogo asked. Judy took out her notepad and flipped through the pages. "She told us the two other criminals stated that if the police happened to be on their case, they would escape to a place called Silver City. I have no idea where it is, but it doesn't sound familiar." Judy said. Nick stayed silent. "I will look now," Bogo said, going over to his computer. "Silver City," he said as he typed. "What?! It's 200 miles away! That's overseas!" He gasped. Judy and Nick both looked at each other. "But we must catch these criminals." Bogo carried on. Nick spoke up. "Chief, are you saying we need to go overseas, to Silver City? Me and Hopps?" He asked. Chief Bogo turned in his chair. "If you are willing to, it would be of so much help to the ZPD. There is so much going on right now, I don't think any one else would have time. Besides, you two are my best cops." He said. Judy smiled slightly, glancing at Nick, who didn't look at her. Judy looked down, ears lowering. "We'll be right on it sir," she said. "Thank you both. Safe journey," Bogo said. "Dismissed."
"200 miles away! That's so far Nick!" Judy said once they were out the door, trying to make conversation with him. "Hmph," was all Nick could muster, as he walked out of the door of the ZPD. Judy sighed. "Nick... I'm sorry. I had a think, and... what I did was wrong."   She apologised. Nick looked at her. "You didn't do anything wrong Judy... you had the right to be upset," he said, placing a paw on her shoulder. "I shouldn't have got mad at you. I would give anything to be with you Judy. But it's not right." Judy groaned. "Would you stop saying it's not right!! You can't live a life on what other people think! In order to be happy, you gotta listen to yourself!" She said despairingly. Nick stopped walking. Turning around, he looked her straight in the eye. Judy looked at the ground shyly. "I guess what I'm trying to say is, if you wanna be with me, just... Do it!" She said, looking up at him. Nick just looked at her. Slowly, he began walking towards her until he was right in front of her. "Okay," he whispered. "Okay." Without warning, he bent down and kissed her passionately, without a care in the world who could see them. This was the girl she loved. Judy was taken aback, but happy that Nick had finally ignored what everyone else thought. Standing up, Nick smiled. "I love you," he said. Judy beamed. "I love you too," she said.
"Oh my gosh did you see that?" A voice not too far off was heard. Nicks ears flattened in fear. "Come on Carrots we should get out of here!" Nick said, grabbing her paw and running. "What?Nick?! What are you doing?!" Judy cried, running as fast as she could, considering her legs were a great deal shorter than his. "It's shocking! The face of the ZPD, displaying an interspecial relationship, disgusting!" "Someone catch them!" Before they knew it, both Nick and Judy were surrounded by an angry mob. Covering Judy protectively, Nick tried to calm them down. "Guys, what seems to be the problem!" He laughed sheepishly. "You should be ashamed! Kissing prey like that! You may as well eat her!" These words shocked Judy. What had become of Zootopia? Was it not a place where predator and prey lived together in harmony? Was it not a place where everyone was accepting of each other's decisions?
Nick knelt down beside Judy and whispered in her ear. "Run. Run as fast as you can." Judy's eyes widened. "No, I'm not leaving you Nick. We do this together." She said. Nick looked frantic. "Judy?! They're gonna kill us!" He said shaking her. "Then we both run," Judy said calmly. Nick nodded. Grabbing her arm, they tore through the crowd, dodging angry citizens, and disappeared down a dark alleyway. "Nick wait!" Judy panted, stopping for breath. Nick ran back and picked her up bridal style, and kept on running. He didn't know where he was going. He didn't know what would happen. But he had the girl of his dreams in his arms, and that made him the happiest person alive.
The pair made it to downtown Zootopia soon enough, managing to successfully lose the mob. Setting Judy down, Nick sat on the kerb to rest. Sitting down beside him, Judy took his paw and held it tight. "What horrible people," she said sadly. "You heard what they said?" Nick asked her. Tears in her eyes, Judy nodded. "But I don't care. Whatever people say, I will always love you Nick!" She said. Nick pulled her in for a gentle hug. "Me too," he whispered, never letting go of her paw.