Chapter 4

The next day was a long one at the ZPD. Judy racked her brains trying to make sense of the evidence she had. She had a lot on her mind making it impossible to concentrate; her relationship with Nick, trying to find a home for him, and her own self esteem issues. She had never felt so stressed in her life, plus she was confused. About how she felt about Nick. Did she love him as just a friend, or was it more? How did he feel? Was he maybe thinking the same thing right now? Did he love her? It was highly unlikely, he'd have an attractive female fox girlfriend in no time. Just thinking of it made her eyes twitch in anger. What? Why was she getting jealous over something that hadn't even happened?
"Carrots? CARROTS? Hellooooo?" Judy awoke from her daydream by a paw waving in her face. "Oh! Nick! Sorry... I-I don't know what had gotten into me lately, I just, I..," Judy stammered nervously. Nick gave her a reassuring smile. "It's okay Judy, it's just we've received some new evidence for this case which I think will be really useful!" He said happily. Judy's ears sprang up. "Really! What is it?!" She asked. Nick sat down beside her. "Well, a few of the cops did a full search of that black panther's home, and we found a book with lots of information on the crime. Bad news is, the two other animals have fled Zootopia, so goodness knows where they could be," he said, sighing. "Well, what information was in the book? Anything useful?" Judy asked, attempting to lighten the mood. "Well," began Nick, thinking. "We found the address of the the other two, but like I said they have fled. But we have yet to search their homes, maybe we can find out where they have gone. That's about it, just stuff about what they plan to do with the money." Judy gazed at him expectantly. "And that is?" She asked. "Just to buy lavish things like cars and stuff," Nick said shrugging. Suddenly, there was a loud knock on the door. Judy quickly sprang up to answer, just as Nick was to. It was Chief Bogo. "Yes?" She asked timidly. "You two, my office please!!" He said in his usual booming voice. Judy shot Nick a slightly nervous glance. "Come on," he said calmly, taking the lead. Judy followed quietly behind.

"You'll be happy to know I've chosen you two to do some very important investigation work," began Chief Bogo. "As you know, the two remaining criminals have fled, but their houses should still hopefully provide some useful evidence. In the meantime we will question the panther. It's up to you two to investigate and gather as much information as you can." Judy looked at Nick. "We won't let you down sir," she said solemnly. Nick just nodded. "Dismissed," Bogo roared. The pair left the room. "Okay, so this book should tell us how to get there yes?" Judy asked Nick. "Yeah should do," Nick replied quietly. "You okay?" Judy asked, looking at him with her gleaming purple eyes. Nick looked at her. "Yeah, I guess," he said, looking down. "That's a lie Nick! Tell me what's going on!" Judy said sternly, looking at nothing but him. Nick stopped walking and turned to face her. Inhaling deeply, he looked at her. "I'm just feeling a little down in the dumps today Carrots, it's nothing to be getting your ears in a twist about," he said, not smiling. Judy didn't know whether to be offended at his remark or what. For the sake of the situation, she kept her mouth shut for the duration of the journey.

The pair finally made it to the criminal's home. The door was already open. "Wow," Judy said, looking around in shock. Cupboards emptied in every corner, large claw marks on the walls, the place had been ransacked. "What happened here?" Nick said, looking slightly frightened himself. "Do you think maybe there was a fight? These claw marks don't look good to me." Judy's nose twitched like she always did when she was afraid. "We need to look for evidence," she said, swallowing the large lump that had risen in her throat. The two split up, Judy taking upstairs. Nick wandered through the house. The place was destroyed, every cupboard had been emptied, so he had to be careful not to trip on anything. When he arrived to the kitchen, something caught this eye. At the other end of the room, on the floor, was it what he thought it was? Walking closer, Nick's heartbeat got faster and faster. A massive pool of blood filled the floor, and not to far away was a massive blood soaked knife.

Meanwhile, upstairs, Judy wasn't having much luck. So far, she had only found a similar book as to what the panther had, with the same things written in it. Soon enough, she decided to head downstairs to see what Nick had found. "Nick?" She called out. No reply. Judy walked into the kitchen to see him standing there, motionless. "Nick? Are you okay?" She said, a little quieter now. "I don't think you should come much further Carrots. You won't like this," Nick said, turning to face her with a worried expression. Ignoring him, Judy stride forward to take a look. Gasping, she turned and hid her face immediately. "Told you," Nick said slyly. "What happened here?" She said looking at him, frightened. "Was somebody.... killed?" Nick looked around the room. "I-I don't know. But we need to look around for some clues that will maybe help us find out what happened." Judy nodded. "These look like paw prints!" She said pointing to the ground. Beginning to follow them, it led her into the backyard and into a shed. "They end here!" She said. "So someone had been in the shed." Nick walked forward and opened the door. Peering in, he cautiously stepped in. His eyes widened. All around him, on the walls, were knives, guns and other malicious looking weapons. Judy followed him behind, and gasped. "Nick, maybe it's not safe here! We should probably leave," She said tugging his arm. Nick shot her a confused look. "And let the ZPD down? We can't do that Carrots! If your gonna be a scared little bunny, go wait in the RV. I need to find evidence," he said, still looking around the shed. Hurt by his remark, Judy backed out of the shed and ran back through the house, tears streaming down her face. How could he? She thought he was her best friend. Slumping down in the front seat, Judy broke down in tears. After all he had said about not everyone thinking that she was a defenceless, scaredy little bunny, he definitely proved that he himself did. "Oh Nick," she said to herself. "Why?"