Chapter 9

"Hello I'm Officer Wilde and this is my partner Officer Hopps. We're looking for Roxy Smithton!" Nick said showing the receptionist the photo of her. "Yes, she's on floor 3, ward 6. The nurses will show you where she is," she said. "Thank you m'am," Nick said politely. "Come on Judy." The pair walked towards the elevator and pressed the button for floor 3. "I'm really looking forward for dinner tonight," Nick said smiling at Judy. "But it will need to be after the apartment viewing at 7:00, is that okay?" Judy nodded. "I can cook, while you go see it!" Nick frowned. "You're not coming?" He asked. "Well, what if people, you know, think we're a couple?" Judy said nervously. Nick looked down at the ground shyly. "Oh yeah," he said vaguely. "Okay." Just looked at the ground sadly. She then perked up again. "But.. I could come anyway?" She asked looking at Nick hopefully. "It's okay Carrots. I wouldn't want to embarrass you," he said, stepping out the elevator.
Judy sighed. Why was she always upsetting him?
They finally made it to Ward 6, without needing any directions. "We're looking for Roxy Smithton?" Nick asked a passing deer nurse. "Oh yes, here she is," said the nurse gesturing towards a bed. Nick's widened. She really was beautiful. Trying to console himself, he slowly walked over to her bed and kneeled down. Judy could feel herself getting red hot with jealousy. "Hi Roxy," smiled Nick. "We're here to ask you a few questions about what happened the other day. Anything you know will be really useful for solving a very important investigation." Roxy smiled weakly. "Okay," she said. "So what exactly happened?" Judy asked, taking out her notepad and pen. Roxy took a deep breath. "Well, I was friends with the wolf. He was a bad egg though. He always tried to force me into stuff I wasn't ready for, dragged me to nightclubs with his mates , basically treated me like a doll to show off. He invited me over to his house a few days ago, and basically..." Roxy paused. Nick placed a paw on hers. Judy looked up from her notepad, quivering with fury. "Carry on, it's okay," Nick said soothingly. "Well, he basically got really angry at me for refusing to do you know... with him, he was defiantly drunk, and he attacked me. I bled a lot, but I thankfully made it. Whenever he got drunk, he would say stuff about robbing. Then he went and did it, but told me if I ever told anyone, I'd be very sorry." Judy was sure to get it all down. "Do you know where they went?" She asked. Roxy thought. "When they got drunk, they always said if the robbery doesn't succeed and the police are on their tail, that they would escape to this place called Silver City. I have no idea where it is, and that's all I know." She said. "Thank you so much Roxy," Nick said. "Yes, thank you," Judy mumbled. She sat down on a chair, while the two foxes chatted about random things. Nick was mostly trying to comfort Roxy, as she had been through a lot. As usual, he was being a flirt.
Glancing at his watch, Nick stood up. "We better be going. But thanks so much for all the information, and I think we've become really good friends!" He said beaming. Judy frowned, feeling her nose twitch with anger. "Could I... Maybe get your number? We could talk sometime again!" Nick said. Judy's eyes widened. This couldn't be happening. What if they began dating? What if Judy lost her chance? What if?
"Okay!" Roxy said sweetly, writing it down on a strip of paper and handing it to Nick. "Thanks! I'll call ya later!" He said, leaving the room. Judy slumped out of the chair and followed behind. As soon as the door was shut behind him, Nick did a victory jump in the air. "Yes!! Yes Yes Yes!" He yelled. "Nick!! Calm down! Your in a hospital!" Judy hissed, obviously not amused. Nick rolled his eyes. "Come on Carrots! I just got that cute girls number! I'm actually getting somewhere in my life!" He said. The very words jabbed Judy like a knife to the heart. There wasn't any point in telling him her feelings now. Eyes brimming with tears, Judy hid her face. "Judy? What's wrong? Are you crying?" Nick asked, looking at her. Trying to console herself, she looked at Nick with red swollen eyes. "Nick, I'm sorry," she choked. Nick sighed. "For once in my life I've possibly gotten myself a life partner. A could have a chance with this girl, and you're... you're jealous! I can't believe you," he said angrily. "Nick, it's not like that! I just... I feel... Left out! I'm sorry if I've hurt you, I just... I can't explain," Judy cried. "Why not? You've been acting so weird lately, why won't you just tell me what's wrong with you! You told me that I was your best friend, and best friends tell each other everything! So tell me!" Nick said. They were out of the hospital now, and walking towards home. "I can't," Judy said hopelessly. "I just can't." Nick groaned. "Please Judy. I won't be mad at you," he said, putting both paws on her shoulders. Judy looked deep into his eyes. "Nick... I'm fine, honestly. I just get depressed sometimes." Nick began to walk forward slowly. "I know that's not the answer Judy, but it looks like I'm not getting any answers out of you. I'm sorry if I seemed like I was forcing you," he said gruffly. "It's okay," Judy murmured.
Judy finally made it back to her apartment. "Come back here after your viewing?" Judy asked. Nick smiled. "Sure. It will be my first night staying at yours!" Judy smiled a small smile. "Yeah, it will," she said quietly. She closed the door slowly, and ran to her desk. Grabbing a piece of paper and pen, she began to write frantically.