Chapter 10

"Dear Nick,
I wrote you this letter because there's something I've been holding in for a very long time. I tried to tell you several times, but always chickened out. You'll probably understand once I tell you.
Don't hate me. I can't help it. Ever since I met you Nick, I've had special feelings for you. Let's just set it straight.
I love you Nick.
Your handsome, your kind, your compassionate, your just everything I want. I know your a fox. I know that I'm just a bunny. We're different species. Your predator, I'm prey. How I wish it could work. It never will however. I love you so much, that's why I've been acting so weird. When you got that girls number, I felt crushed. I couldn't blame you because you didn't know my feelings, and plus she's a fox and I'm just a bunny,
but I still got upset. I don't have depression. I just love you. And I'm sorry.
Judy

Judy took a deep breath and set down her pen. Folding the letter carefully, she put it in her pocket. She would excuse herself from the table at the end of dinner, and give it to him on the way out. She would hide in the bathroom while he read the letter. This was it. She couldn't keep it to herself anymore, she had to tell him some way or other.
Then she remembered. The dinner!
Rushing to the kitchen, she frantically pulled out some salad and tried to create something, when nothing worked, she helplessly reached for the phone. "Hi, can I have a medium margarita pizza please? Yes. 13 Richmond Corner. Thank you!" It wasn't fancy, but she had nothing in the house to cook.
"Knock Knock!" Judy gasped. Was it Nick? Or the pizza? She walked towards the door. Opened it quickly, it was Nick. "Hey!" She said brightly. "Hey," Nick said. "Guess what?" Judy thought. What if he asked her out in a date? "I got the apartment!" Judy gasped. Nick that's great! But you won't be staying over with me anymore though," she said, her face falling. "Oh Carrots! I won't be getting it for at least a fortnight, so if you don't mind, I will be staying here," he laughed. "Yay!" Judy yelled, a little bit too enthusiastically. The door knocked again. "Oh, I ordered a pizza Nick.. I really wanted to make a special dinner, but I had no food," Judy explained. Nicks face lit up. "Fine by me! I love pizza!" He smiled. Judy went to the door to collect it. The pair enjoyed it sitting on the couch, the whole special dinner idea out the window now. "This is just as nice as any special dinner," Nick smiled. "Carrots, I'm sorry about today. I probably shouldn't have got that girls number. I don't even know her. What if she's a horrible person!" He said sadly. Judy gave him a reassuring pat. "Don't worry Nick, she seems pretty nice," Judy said.' On the outside, Judy was reassuring towards Nick, but on the inside, she was getting excited. It was time.
"Please excuse me for a moment, I-I'm just going to the uh -  bathroom." Judy stuttered, fumbled in her pocket, pulling out the letter as subtly as she could. Dropping it onto his lap, she scurried to the bathroom, locking the door behind her. Oh boy. She had done it now. There was no turning back.
Meanwhile, a confused Nick was wondering what this piece of paper was. Lifting it up, he unfolded it.
"Dear Nick..." Reading the letter, his eyes widened when he saw it. "I love you Nick." His heartbeat raced. So this is what she was hiding. She loved him.

******** flashback ********
"Please sir I'm not asking for any trouble, just a jumbo pop, for my little boy," Nick asked sweetly. "Look fox, the sign says we have the RIGHT TO REFUSE SERVICE TO ANYONE!" The elephant bellowed, pointing at the sign on the counter. "You're holding up the line!" An elephant behind said, pushing Nick. Cowering below her, Nick realised he wasn't going to get his way, not this time. "Excuse me?" Who was that? Suddenly, a bunny emerged from behind the queue. Wow. She was pretty. Wait what? Nick, she's a bunny, you're a fox. Stop it! But Nick couldn't stop gazing upon her, it was like love at first sight. "Are your customers aware they're getting snot and mucus with their cookies and cream?" She said smirking slightly. That voice. It was... sexy. After a few minutes of arguing with the elephant cashier, he finally got his way, but then realised he'd left his money behind. Sad that there would be business today, but also sad for his "son", Nick was about to leave, when that bunny paid for the pop! Now he felt bad, he had tricked the poor girl into paying for his own business. But he couldn't tell the truth now. He would for sure be arrested. Outside the shop, he was sure to show his gratitude. "Officer I can't thank you enough! Officer...?" He asked. "Hopps! Judy Hopps," she beamed. "Wilde. Nick Wilde." Nick said, smiling. "If you hadn't of come in there, I probably wouldn't have got that jumbo pop, because, I'm a fox. We're a hated specie here in Zootopia." Judy frowned. "It's horrible how people have such backward attitudes towards foxes," she spat. "I think you are a wonderful dad, and a real great guy." Those words warmed his heart. No one had ever said anything like that to him. If only she was a fox. She would be the one.

******** end of flashback ********
Nick awoke from his daydream. Yes, he was a fox, and she was a bunny. But could this work? No of course not. The weird looks they would receive, it would be a nightmare. Maybe they could keep it secret.
Getting up from the sofa, he walked to the bathroom. Judy was just exiting. As soon as she saw his standing there, letter clutched in hand, she froze. Nose twitching, she slowly looked him in the eye.
"Is this true?" He asked slowly. Judy felt like crying. He didn't accept it. Maybe he wanted to end everything they already had. "I'm sorry," she let out. "It is. If you hate me now, I understand." Nick in shock, kneeled down beside her. "Why would I hate you?" He asked, slightly mad. Judy's breathing quickened. "Cos we can't be together Nick! A fox and a bunny, just doesn't work!!" She cried. Nick lifted up her chin gently. "Who says it doesn't?" He said gently. "Judy, the moment I laid eyes on you, I was in love. But I had to banish those feelings because I thought the same thing. I tried to get a fox girlfriend to numb the pain of not having you as a girlfriend." Judy's looked into his eyes. Nick stared back. Placing a paw on her cheek, he slowly kissed her. Wrapping her arms around his shoulders, she kissed him back. A warm feeling rushed through her body. With him, he felt safe. With him, she felt loved. With him, she felt everything was going to be okay.