Chapter 6

Judy flopped down on her bed and let out an almighty sigh. Nick didn't want to spend his first night staying at her house with her. He instead had stormed off to his box home. What a horrible day. It was awful how quickly things could change, how you could hurt someone so easily, but so badly. She had overreacted to what Nick had said. It had hurt her a little, but what she had said to Nick was different. The pain in his eyes, it was like every word that came out of her mouth jabbed his heart like a dagger. She had to apologise.
Grabbing her cell phone, she scrolled through her contacts until she found Nick's name. Paws shaking, she hit ring.
Meanwhile, Nick was lying his box in silence, thinking about the day. If only he hadn't called her a scared bunny, then he wouldn't have brought out the worst in Judy. What she had said hurt him, he knew he had to get over himself, but he felt terrible about himself. To think his best friend viewed him as horrid, sly, lying. Just like everyone else. He just wanted to be accepted. To made feel like everyone else, instead of an outcast that no one trusted.
"Ring, Ring, Ring," his thoughts were interrupted by his cell phone. He knew who it was. No one else ever called him. He had no one else. His paw moved slightly, about to pick up the phone. He wanted to do it, to hear her sweet voice, but his heart said no. He couldn't do it, not now. The phone eventually stopped ringing. Sighing, Nick rolled over and tried to get some sleep.
The phone rang for ever, until it went it voicemail. Judy took the phone away from her ear, close to tears. He never ignored her calls. "Oh Nick," Judy said to herself. "I'm sorry!" The bunny hopelessly wept, curled into a tiny ball. Wiping her eyes, she stood up. She had to see Nick. He was out in the cold, alone, upset. She stormed out of the apartment and made her way to the bridge. It was a cold night, the icy wind stung her furry cheeks. Thinking of Nick sleeping out in this every night made her shudder.
It was getting darker. Judy had to find the bridge. Her vision became blurry with tears, mostly induced by the cold wind, but also by the whole situation. Then she saw it. The bridge! Breathing out with relief, she began to make a run for it. The wind jabbed her now like a thousand knives, but she didn't care. She had to get to him.
"Nick?" She called out as she got closer and closer. Out of puff, she slowed down just by the entrance. She could see the box which was obviously Nick's bed. It was heartbreaking. Slowly, she walked over to the box. She could hear the light snoring, he was fast asleep. There was nothing for Judy to do but to lie down on the floor beside him. It would be a long cold night for her.
"Judy?" She heard a voice. Her eyes immediately opened. "Nick!" She exclaimed. "There's something I really need to say to you, a-", Nick shot her an evil glare. "I think you've said enough," he said angrily. "Nick, I'm sorry! I didn't think before I spoke, I was just so upset and mad and.." Judy couldn't help but cry. "And..." She continued though tears "I'm really mad at m-myself, because I h-hurt you so much, and if you don't forgive me I totally understand," Judy sank down to the ground, covering her face. "Carrots, we were both wrong. It's just what you said, and about your dad, Judy, I can't take it much longer," Nick said sadly. Judy looked up at him. "I didn't mean what I said, I was just so mad, it flew out of my mouth without thinking!" She cried. "Please believe me," Nick looked at her. "But I can't. What has your Dad been telling you about foxes?" He said looking at her sternly. Judy didn't answer. Looking at him, she sighed deeply. "TELL ME!!" roared Nick, angry tears falling from his eyes. Judy scrambled to her feet, backing away cautiously. "Are you'd scared of me?" Nick asked, more calmly now. Judy shook her head. "My dad hates foxes. He gave me this repellant, I tried to tell him no but he wouldn't listen. He said they were sly and untrustworthy, but I didn't believe him. And since I met you Nick, he's been proved wrong! It's because of what happened when I was younger... I-I," Judy trailed off. Nick gestured for her to carry on. "I was bullied by a fox once, but it could have been anyone. My dad made more of a fuss than I did," Judy said looking deep into his emerald eyes. "Join the club. I was bullied everyday of my life Carrots. Because of who I was," Nick sad, not looking at her. "Nick, you gotta understand, that all that I said was a mistake. Your sweet, your kind, and most of all you are not what people say you are. You're the opposite!" Judy said, trying to cheer him up. "There's no point in buttering me up Judy. You said what you said," Nick said, slumping in his bed. Judy began to cry. "Nick, why can't you accept my apology?" she said despairingly. Nick got up to look at her. "Please?" She whispered. Nick groaned. "Carrots, I do forgive you, but that doesn't mean I'm still not upset," he said. Judy placed a paw on his. Nick felt a warm sensation at her touch, like nothing ever before. Without thinking, he gave her massive hug. Judy beamed from ear to ear, wrapping her small arms around him. She loved his hugs. The feeling of being this close to him like nothing ever before. It felt amazing. His warmth, his smell, his heart beating in his chest. She pulled away and looked deep into his eyes. "We good?" She whispered. Nick smiled and nodded. "I wasn't gonna let you go that easily Carrots," he said. Judy beamed. "It's awfully cold Nick, do you wanna come back to my place?" She asked, shivering. Nick gave her a smirk and cocked an eyebrow. "I thought you wanted to cuddle more," he laughed. Judy blushed a deep scarlet. "Nick!" She exclaimed. "Your such a flirt!" Nick chuckled. "That's what guys do with pretty girls," he said looking at her like no guy has ever looked at her before. Judy was shocked. "You think I'm pretty?" She mumbled. Nick rolled his eyes. "Of course I do! Has nobody ever told you that?" Nick asked. Judy shook her head. It was Nick's turn to blush now. "Sorry Judy," he murmured. "It's okay Nick! It was very sweet of you," Judy said reassuring him. On the outside, she was calm, but her heart was hammering. There thoughts were scattered everywhere. If he thought she was pretty, did he love her? Or was he just being friendly? Was he just being flirty? She just wanted an answer.