Chapter 8

The long journey to the hospital was a quiet one. Judy couldn't take any of this much longer. Nick was being such a flirt, she was beginning to wonder if the fox really had feelings for her. He wouldn't call her pretty like that, twice, and sleep with her if he didn't. But she still couldn't face confessing her feelings. What if he didn't feel the same way? It would be so awkward! What if he didn't even want to be partners anymore, or even friends? She had to keep it to herself, no matter how much pain it caused her.
"Are we there yet Nick?" Judy panted, dragging behind him. "We've been walking for ages!" Nick turned and give her a smirk. "Is somebody tired?" He said in a mocking voice. Judy shot him a look. "No," she said defiantly. Nick chuckled. "We're almost there Carrots. Hang in there," he said, looking at the map. They couldn't use the RV as it was having its MOT. "I'm hungry, wanna grab a bite?" Judy rolled her eyes. "You're always hungry," she said, running so she could walk alongside him. "Yeah, I'm sure we could get some lunch, I'm hungry with all this walking!" She complained. Nick pulled out the picture of the fox again, sighing. "I really hope she's okay," he said, looking down at Judy. Judy's heart shattered. He really cared about this fox, and they hadn't even met. But what he said, it reassured her. In his eyes, she was the prettiest. But if that's what he thought, how come he hadn't asked her out yet? Maybe he knew she was jealous, and was only trying to calm her. Ugh, everything was so confusing right now. How she wished she could let it all out, let him know how she's felt this whole time. If he didn't accept it, well at least he would know.
"Don't worry Nick, I'm sure the doctors have taken good care of her. You really are worrying a lot about it, aren't you!" Nick looked at her. "Do you think I'd have a chance with her?" Judy's face fell. He was in love with her already. "What do you mean?" She asked quietly. Nick laughed. "Oh Carrots, do you think if I asked her out would she say yes? I've never been really good with girls," he said, scratching the back his neck. Judy thought. "I-I'm sure she would Nick, but you really should get to know her first. I meant, personality means more than what's on the outside," Judy said, looking into his eyes. Nick looked back at her, and looked away blushing. "Yeah, you're right Carrots," he said. Judy sighed. Now she didn't have a chance with him at all. Never in a million years would he ask a bunny out. Predator and prey; it just didn't work.
"You okay Carrots? You seem said," Nick asked, nudging her lightly. "I'm okay, honestly! Just- a lot on my mind," she said frowning. "You can tell me Judy, if it's really bothering you," Nick said. Judy looked up at him. He was so handsome. His eyes gleamed in the sunlight, brighter than the brightest stars. Judy looked back down at the floor again. "It's nothing really," she mumbled. "Okay then," Nick said. "But if you ever need to talk, I'm here for you Carrots," he smiled. Judy smiled back at him. "Thanks Nick," she said.
After quite a bit more walking, the pair finally found somewhere to eat. It was a little cafe, called Coffee Corner. The two sat down at a chair by the window and looked at the menu. "What are you getting Nick?" Judy asked, only just being able to peek over her menu. Nick looked at her and immediately smiled. "Aw! You're too cute Judy," he said. Blushing, Judy hid behind her menu. Setting it down, she looked at Nick. "I'm getting the Chickpea Salad, how about you?" He asked. "Blueberry Muffin," Judy laughed. "I'm not really that hungry."
After they finished their meal, the two cops were back on the road again to the hospital. Judy had more energy now after her meal, and was bounding ahead of Nick. "Come on Nick! You're lagging behind!" She shouted. Nick laughed at shook his head. "Oh Judy, you make me laugh sometimes," he chuckled. Judy smiled. But then it faded when she remembered. Nick was going to ask Roxy out. Nick's smile faded as well. "You okay?" He asked, concerned. "Nick I gotta tell you something," she let out. "Yeah anything?" He said, looking slightly worried. Judy groaned. "I-I kind of... I never mind, i-it's not important, really," she said, looking into his eyes. Nick looked concerned. "Judy, I know somethings up, you've been so quiet, you gotta tell me! I've been worrying since you said there was a lot on your mind!" He said. Judy's heart felt warm at his very words. So he did care about her! Well of course, but just the thought of him worrying about her made her heart flutter. "Please, Judy, just tell me! It can't be that bad!" Nick said, looking down at her, making her feel very small. Just thought about it. Was it really that bad? Yes, yes it was. Predator and prey! Fox and bunny! It just wouldn't work. Plus, Nick had already planned to ask this fox out on a date. She couldn't ruin this for him. And more importantly, she couldn't ruin the amazing friendship that they had. If Nick was to flip out on her, leave the ZPD and never speak to her again, she would hate herself. But then again, he wouldn't go to that extreme, he was a pretty laid back guy. This was too much. She had to tell him. Then she had an idea.
"Well Carrots?" Nick said, getting slightly impatient. "How about I make us a nice dinner at mine tonight? I know you live with me, but I just thought it would be nice?" She asked. Nick looked surprised. "That was it?" He said in shock. "Oh, well um, no. I was thinking I could tell you at dinner!" Judy beamed. Nick shrugged. "Well okay! So dinner tonight, sounds good!" He smiled. Judy smiled back. She had to do this.