Chapter 10

All my love to one particular person out there, who suddenly made updating a worth-while activity! And how can I not mention the other people who have added me to their reading lists, fanned me and commented on my baby? I have been jumping with pleasure since yesterday!

 And Ashful, we may not get a lot of Andrew in this chapter, but I assure you that the pace picks up dramatically after this post. Hold your horses, my ladies; the ride is about to get a little bumpy!

Warning: This chapter contains some details of intended sexual assault.

CHAPTER 10

That night Rachel was not required in the dining room, much to her relief. Over the next few days, her apprehension regarding the guest seemed to be unfounded. He never made any untoward advances towards her, though he still came to the schoolroom or met the young ladies for evening walks on a daily basis. On such occasions he would devote himself to all of them equally, and his tales about the countries he had visited lately (for he was a great traveler) added a new and interesting dimension to their evening stroll. Rachel could see why his nieces anticipated his visits so much. Slowly but surely, she overcame her distrust and started reacting normally around him.

She was to realize the accuracy of her gut instincts eight days after his arrival at Carillon Hall.

Rachel had had lunch with the sisters, but she remained in the schoolroom after they went to their room for their afternoon nap in order to complete a book she was reading. Balancing herself on the window seat to gain maximum sunlight, she was deeply engrossed when she heard the door opening. Lord Edgerton sauntered into the room, making her spring to her feet with a flustered air. She dredged up an uneasy smile, for something about the man seemed to be wrong today.

Good afternoon, my Lord, the Misses Herringfords are not here at the moment. Should I call them? Or is there something I can do for you?”

He smirked. “That is a wonderful offer, Miss Warren. I’ll take you up on it soon.”

Lord Edgerton walked on leisurely till he was standing directly in front of her, and Rachel’s feelings of disquiet returned with a vengeance on seeing the languid way in which those predator eyes were raking her body. “You seem to have become even lovelier than before,” he breathed, reaching out and trailing a finger down one pale cheek. “The country air appears to suit you better than that of London.”

Rachel flinched involuntarily as his cold finger touched her skin. She definitely didn’t know how to reply, but tried nevertheless. “I thank you for your kind thought, your Lordship. I infinitely prefer the countryside to the city.”

His eyes slid to the charcoal portrait framed above the door. “An exquisite bit of work by Alicia… I believe she was the artist who drew this picture? But when the subject is so tempting,” he added, leaning over her and pinning her to the wall behind with his proximity, “how can one be anything but inspired?”

Rachel looked around desperately, now able to smell the alcohol on Lord Edgerton’s breath. She knew there was no one around at this time in the school wing, and was suddenly conscious of the dangerous position she was in. This inebriated man was not in possession of his senses, and seemed to be stripped of all vestiges of civility. She attempted to inch away from him but, when he refused to budge, Rachel gave up all pretences of normalcy.

“I – I have no idea what you are talking about my Lord,” she faltered, almost terrified by now. “But I ha…have some work to do in my room, so kindly let me by.”

“What is the hurry, my dear?” he smirked down at her. “I have not been able talk properly with you at all, and I want to get better...acquainted with you.”