Chapter 32.1.

Banner by  @Charms_16 (Thanks a lot for this! <3 <3)

Banner by @Charms_16 (Thanks a lot for this! <3 <3)

You can mail me your banners/ covers/trailers at wattpadgirl30@gmail.com :)

The situation did not get any better in the coming days. There were some sophomore girls who practically drowned my phone with hate messages.

And it's a known fact that when too much of negativity constantly surrounded you, you start doubting everything that you believed in....

What if—What if Devon starts to hate me too? What if he leaves me? What will I do then?

I squeezed my eyes shut trying hard to block out every thought that made my heart shudder in pain.

I was in the library that day hiding in a corner behind a book. Nowadays I came to school fully zipped up in a hoodie so that I was difficult to spot at once.

"El! El! El!"

Josh came booming to the table I was sat on.

"Josh! It's the library! Lower your speakers," I hissed as the librarian threw a disapproving gaze our way.

It was startling that Josh came to the library 'cause he never did. He treated it as a foreign country for which no passport or visa could possibly exist.

"You've got to come with me! You've got to see this! I'm so stoked!" Josh had already grabbed my wrist and dragged me out of the library with him.

"What's the matter? Can you tell me?" I asked, trying to reason with him, as we raced down the flight of stairs in lightening speed.

"You'll see for yourself! It can't be missed! Not a bit!"

When we arrived at the campus, it was very much crowded as though the whole school was gathered there. I was shocked when I saw that the crowd was surrounding none other than Devon. And I could hear him loud and clear.

".....shame on you guys," he was saying, "And aren't girls supposed to empower each other instead of mindlessly bitching against each other? I thought girls who support each other go on to be more confident than the rest. Eleanor is my girlfriend and I won't tolerate anything against her. I was the one who relentlessly and madly pursued her ever since I first saw her. She hated me but somewhere down the line, she might have seen a bit of good in me and that's why she reciprocated my feelings. And it's the fucking asshole Luke Thomas who used her for his own benefit and then threw her away, not the other way around. He is too coward to come out in the open about it."

My breath was stuck in my throat as I heard all that.

"Parker is the best guy for ya," Josh whispered, smiling ear to ear.

Devon continued, "But Eleanor never cursed him. Why? Because she never says or does anything bad to someone who has been close to her and betrayed her. That's because she has this rare quality of appreciating the good in every person no matter how nasty the person has been to her. That's why I like her so much 'cause she can do something that I can never do. I don't have it in me to forgive those who betray my trust. So, next time, when you're about to talk against my girlfriend, just remember that you're degrading someone who would always wish for your happiness."

And next, I watched the crowd step to either of side to clear the pathway for Devon who was leaving the campus area. I just stood there like a statue unable to move. He randomly looked in my direction and did a double take on seeing me. Clearly, he hadn't expected me there. Neither had I expected to be there and hear him speak.

My heart began pounding in my chest when he took long strides towards me. Everyone watched in dead silence as he stood in front of me with his dark intense eyes penetrating deep into mine. My heart slowed down when he held my face. I instantly knew what was on his mind.

No.

He just can't be thinking of that.

Not now when practically the whole school had their eyes glued to us.

But guess he didn't care.

My breaths hitched when Devon crashed his lips onto mine. I could hear a lot of gasps emanate from the crowd around us.

Devon didn't care of the world. What he did care about was me. And himself.

My heart missed a beat when he held my hand after the kiss. Right then we spotted Kelly along with her cronies.

Devon's face contorted in fury seeing her. "Go pamper your dirty mouth with a pig's rotten dick," he spewed, loud enough for everyone to hear.

Kelly's horrified expressions were worth a watch. She was insulted in front of the whole school. She was burning in rage at her crushing defeat. And she had nothing to say.

As I walked past her with Devon, she gave me a scowling look.

"You're puke-worthy, Kelly. Wish I was inhuman enough to spit on you," I said pointedly, not fearing her for the first time. "Stay away from my boyfriend. If you try to get any near to him, I swear you'll be in that sort of a horrible mess that your empty head is better off not knowing."

Devon and I left the campus together as everyone looked on in silence....

The drive back home was silent. Devon and I didn't speak. There were so many different kinds of thoughts going on in my head that it was difficult to not be overwhelmed.

I rang up Devon later that day after I got home.

"From hating me with passion to being so passionate about me, you've come a long way baby," he said huskily from the other end. "I loved what you said to that bitch."

I flushed. I still couldn't get over what he had done at the campus.

"Why did you have to kiss me in front of sooo many people?" I almost whined, feeling mortified.

"It was just a kiss," he drawled in response. "We didn't have sex in front of everyone."

I rolled my eyes. He was so unabashed.

I grew anxiously as I spoke, "I had told you not to defend me. Why don't you listen...."

"I didn't defend you, Eleanor. I only let everyone know the reasons why it's not easy to live without you," he said matter-of-factly.

My heart missed a beat hearing that. "Thanks," I said gratefully, "Thanks for standing by me."

"Why don't you come over and thank me in person?" he said in a velvety voice. "I'm all alone in the house...."

I clutched my phone tight to my ear as a whiff of temptation rose within me. I was aroused. All kinds of dirty thoughts filled my head. He was turning me into a bad girl. Damn.

"Really?" I asked, clearing my mind.

"Well, not really. Jackson's there. But he's sleeping so he won't come to know about the things we would do."

I giggled. "What if he wakes up and finds us making out?"

"Then in that case, I'd tell him it's the Superglue."

I laughed, "Devon, you're too much!"

"I know. That's why I'm waiting for you," he said seductively before we hung up.

I took a hell lot of time to get dressed for I was very nervous and undecided. I finally picked up a white sleeveless summer dress with blue floral prints on it and got ready but as I was about to go downstairs, I heard loud sirens.

I rushed to the window and a shocking sight greeted me.

An ambulance was stood right outside Devon's. With my pounding heart in my throat, I bounded down the stairs and dashed out of the house.

I grew pale in horror as I saw an unconscious Jackson being laid on a stretcher and taken inside the ambulance. The fact that the little boy was bleeding heavily from his head made it much worse.

I couldn't understand what to do. I found no voice in my dry throat. My hands and feet were running cold. I just stood there numb as I watched Devon climb onto the ambulance too with an expressionless face before the vehicle zoomed out of sight....