Chapter 37.

Instagram: rashmita_b

I went on a long drive with Devon that night. I still couldn't get Cheryl's crude words out of me. I still couldn't keep them from hurting me. Devon even asked me why I looked upset. I came up with a convenient excuse to avoid talking about it. I didn't want to tell him about my unpleasant encounter with Cheryl. I'd no clue how he would react. I didn't want to spoil our time together.

I was sat next to him while he drove down the silent and deserted roads under the moonlit sky. We didn't speak. Or rather, he was seducing me with his silence. Time and again, his eyes wavered from the road ahead to momentarily stare sideways at me. And the way he looked at me with those intoxicating orbs of his created fiery ripples in my heart....

"Why are you so quiet today?" I asked, trying to get him to talk. "You don't usually be."

"I rather not speak," Devon responded. "I always fuck things between us with my fucking mouth."

"I've a strong feeling that we won't get into a nasty argument today," I laughed.

"I love the sound of your laugh," he said in a deep, solemn voice making my heart miss a beat. "You're so beautiful in everything that you do, Eleanor. But the worst part is, I fucking don't have it in me to make you laugh a lot."

Devon's grip on the steering wheel tightened. I could see his irises brimming with regret as he focused on the road ahead. He was right in what he said.

Devon was intense, passionate, dark. And sinful.

"You don't have to regret anything, Devon," I was speaking my mind, "I like you exactly the way you are. Don't ever change."

Devon could change for the world if he felt like but I wanted him to be exactly how he was with me.

I didn't know whether that sounded foolish, selfish or downright insane but that was the way I felt.

When I looked sideways at him, I saw the edge of his lips curved into a lopsided smile at my words.

"Why are you smirking?" I asked, narrowing my eyes into slits at him.

"You wouldn't wanna know sweetheart but I wouldn't mind telling you," he snickered.

"You know what, I actually don't wanna know. So don't say anything," I warned him.

"Okay, " smiled Devon. " Never ask a teenage boy with raging hormones what he is thinking."

Argg!!

Devon was so bad. He would make sure that you didn't wish to know his impure thoughts but at the same time, he would lure you into wanting to hear about those.

Damn.

And now, ladies and gentlemen, it was my turn to give it back to him. Watch and Learn.

"But I can surely ask if you were jealous seeing that cute adorable guy sitting next to me in class?" I asked.

"That guy is a filthy asshole," responded Devon quietly with a grumpy face.

"You say that about every guy, Devon, " I chuckled.

"That's because I can't tolerate even a mere thought of any other guy being around you, Eleanor." he responded in a hostile voice, "because I have experienced how fatal that feels."

I had trouble breathing normally. I knew he was referring to Luke.

Devon spoke, his jaw hardened in pain, "It killed me every day that you loved spending time with him, that he was the reason behind your smile, that you kissed him...I dreaded the thought of you and he---"