Chapter 25.

Instagram: rashmita_b

Devon turned around to look at him and now both boys were face to face with each other....Before I could recover from the shock, Luke had already lunged towards Devon and grabbed him harshly by his collar. My throat ran dry. I couldn't speak, just dread what was to come....

"How dare you try to kiss Eleanor?" Luke gritted his teeth, his eyes flashing. "How dare you touch her, you arsehole!!"

Devon remained as nonchalant as ever as though he couldn't be bothered in any way. "Didn't anyone point out to you ever that it's rude to walk into the most private moments of a couple?" he said calmly with a drawl.

"Luke, NO!" I shrieked in horror when he punched Devon hard on the cheek.

Devon jerked a little to the side because of the force but didn't lose his cool in the least. "You're such a soft toy. You're an insult in the name of a quarterback," he snorted.

That provoked Luke's anger even more. I rushed to his side but despite applying my full strength, I couldn't hold him back from attacking Devon once more.

Devon swiftly dodged the punch but when he looked up again, his composed demeanor had turned hostile. Fear gripped my skin and I knew things were about to get worse when he balled his hands into hard fists and looked fiercely at Luke. His temper, like always, looked scarier than anything I've ever witnessed....

"I've seen Eleanor sad so many times. It never took me more a second to guess that you hurt her. You've made her cry. NOBODY does that to Eleanor," seethed Devon as he knocked a blow at Luke who jolted backwards to the table, his head missing the glass apparatuses by a few dangerous inches....

I was scared for Devon at first but now, seeing the ice cold fury flash in his blue orbs, I was scared for Luke...

"Luke, stop! Please!!" I begged as he charged once again towards the other boy.

But Luke didn't listen to me and slammed another fist at Devon. The latter was all set to smash him square on the face....

"NO, Devon!!" I clamoured in alarm and most unexpectedly, Devon stopped at once. His harsh fist was almost on Luke's face but Devon pulled it away and backed out. I also saw the intense anger instantly wash out of him.

A chilling silence bridled the atmosphere. I realized I had turned stiff with cold and my breaths were shivering.

"Stay away from Eleanor if you want to save yourself from unimaginable regret," Luke's threat tore away the silence in the air.

"She belongs with me," said Devon sharply. "You can never get close to what I feel for her."

"I deserve to be with her unlike you," spewed Luke. "So vomit your bullshit elsewhere."

"No one gets to come between Eleanor and me," said Devon, sounding passionate. "Stop being ignorant, dickhead. And you've even been dumped by her and she won't take you back. So fuck off."

"Really?" snorted Luke as a chill ran down my spine. "I dunno how to break this to you but Eleanor and I patched up a few days ago. She is my girlfriend. You're an ass if you thought we wouldn't 'cause minor tiffs between couples are quite normal," said Luke, pressing me to his side.

To say Devon was stunned to hear that was an understatement. He wasn't ready to believe what he heard and stared hard at me, trying to find an answer in my eyes. I could feel it in my bones how painfully desperate he was to hear me refuse every word Luke said but I simply looked down. Devon left and pain strangled my heart leaving it with lesser life.....

Luke had a proud victorious look on his face. "What a loser! Finally crushed him under my feet." Turning to me, he added, "Are you okay? I know he was trying to force himself on you. Good that I came here on time,"

"I-I am....am fine," I said.

When Luke spoke next, it didn't seem like he even heard me, "Can't believe Parker can stoop to such low levels to tarnish my image by using you. He is so jealous of my quarterback position, my popularity and the many followers that I have. He wanted to take advantage of our break-up and use you to make people believe that I'm bad to put me down. Glad that I foiled his plans. "

"Actually, Luke, the thing is Devon isn't using Eleanor like you think he is." I was startled to see Stef walk in the lab with a smart-ass face. "Devon genuinely likes Eleanor and she likes him too. Infact, Eleanor was planning to leave you for someone better."

Luke was stunned to hear that.

"Yep. There was a party at Devon's last night." Adam stepped in as well, standing alongside Stef. "Since we are a couple, Stef and I went in search for a room when we saw Eleanor and Devon making out in the kitchen---" I was shell shocked hearing that "---Trust me, no one missed you, Luke."

"What the hell are these people talking about, Eleanor?!!" Luke demanded with a bruised ego. "Is it fucking true??"

"Yes, it's true," I said, extremely pissed and frustrated with his conceited attitude.

Luke clenched his fists tight and spoke. "Before you break up with me, I dump you, Eleanor. I'd never want to be the one getting dumped and that too by some plain girl like you 'cause that would hurt my reputation in school. So I'm doing the needful. It's all over between us,"

I was utterly disgusted by his words.

"Besides, you cheated on me," he went on, "Never thought you'd turn out to be such a bitch. You ain't worth me. But I won't hold any grudges against you 'cause people know I'm too good for th--"

"Before you go on about what a saint you are, I'd want to show you something," interrupted Adam. He took out his cellphone and pointed the screen at Luke. I was left stunned by what I saw on the screen.

It was a pic of Luke in a compromising position with a sexy blonde girl who was a total stranger to me.

Luke looked as though he'd been run over by an elephant. Fear was evident in his eyes.

"What do you have to say about this, Luke?" Stef asked in a challenging tone.

Luke glared at Stef and Adam. "Dare you share this with the school," he gritted his teeth.

Adam locked eyes with him and spoke in the same tone, "Only if you promise to not going about speaking shit about Eleanor in school to be a shining star in everybody's eyes."

Luke didn't speak a word but gave them an icy look and stormed off there. It was obvious he had received the message loud and clear and wouldn't do anything that would hurt his reputation.

"Thank you so much guys for pulling me out of this mess. So glad it ended once and for all," I said gratefully to Stef and Adam, feeling so much at peace as though I'd finally managed to get rid of a bug after a long, long time"You've helped me like always."

"Glad," said Stef with a wide smile. "Luke is such an ass. One of Josh's friends sent him this disgusting pic. Nothing shocking to me really. Always knew Luke was a big fake."

"Besides, Stef and I honestly have grown to have parental instincts for you, right?" Adam laughed.

Stef giggled.

"Really? Then in that case, if at all you guys have a baby girl, name her Eleanor please," I teased them and they blushed. But all of a sudden, the wide grin was wiped off my face when I remembered the ugly fight between Devon and Luke....

"I-I need to check on Devon," I said and rushed for the door.

"Don't let him walk away," Stef called after me.

***