Chapter 16.1.

I thought he was bluffing but it came as quite a surprise when he actually stayed true to his words. Over the next week, though Devon sat throughout the reading time with the kid and me everyday, he didn't even once cause any interruption. Jackson and I not only read within the four walls but also outdoors, at every spot in Crawford Lane wherever possible, like under the shade of a tree in the lush garden, by the creek in the woods on the outskirts of Crawford Lane or even on the beautiful hill that nestled on the back side of the neighbourhood

Devon accompanied us everywhere but he caused no trouble, neither with his actions nor with his blunt tongue.

Wish he were like that in school too.

But that afternoon, something different happened. Jackson and I were reading in the garden. Devon was there too. Just as I opened to the chapter in the book that we were supposed to begin reading, I found a neatly folded note between those two pages.

"What's that?" I asked, taking the note in my hand and starting to unfold it.

"No, no, not now!" Jackson stopped me hurriedly. "Um, can you look into it later after we finish reading today?"

"Okay, baby," I smiled at him.

The chapters that we read that day were so gripping and interesting that I almost forgot about the note.

Sometime before we were to wind up with our reading session, Devon stood up.

"Got some work. Will you drop Jackson home after you guys are done?" he asked me.

"Okay," I said and he departed.

Once we had finished reading for the day and closed the book, Jackson looked at me eagerly and said, "Now will you please read out the note?"

"Did you write it?" I asked, taking the piece of paper and unfolding it.

"No, Devon wrote," the kid responded.

That startled me. It was a short and beautiful handwritten note addressed to me. Hard to believe that someone like Devon could have such amazing handwriting.

Eleanor,

Hoping that I've been on my best behavior these last couple of days during Jackson's reading time with you. Apologies for being a loathsome pest earlier. It was very wrong of me to disrupt Jackson's learning time like I did. I've understood that there are loads of other ways to get you to admit your feelings for me without having to get in the way of a kid's progress.

Sorry.

Devon.

I was speechless by the time I reached the end of the note. Was that supposed to be an apology note? Would I be committing a mistake if I thought it surely was an apology note?

"So Devon wrote it..." I asked, not finding anything else to say

"Yeah," the kid nodded. "Devon took a lot of time to write this. Everytime he wrote a note, he threw it away, everytime he wrote a note , he threw it away. He did like this so many times. The floor was full of papers that he threw away. And then at last he wrote this note and he was very happy and he kept the note in the book and told me to tell you to read it. "

I giggled hearing that. Obviously going by how blunt and cocky Devon was, writing a polite sorry note definitely must have been a nightmare for him.

"He also told me to ask you that was it a better apoly," said Jackson.

"You mean apology?"

"Yeah. That word."

I giggled again. "Tell him that that note was a grammatically correct one and if he wants the answer to his question, he needs to ask me himself."

***

I didn't know why I was smiling to myself so much all the way back home thinking about Devon's note that now was in my pocket. There was nothing so great in that note after all. I mean, no doubt it was just how far he could get on the politeness radar. But I didn't know why I felt like reading the note again. But no, I wouldn't be doing that because that would be stupid.

My phone had been on mute this entire time and I didn't bother checking it. So finally when I did after reaching home, I was startled to find three missed calls from Luke. I rang him up.

"Finally!" I heard Luke's irked voice from the other end, "You finally got time to ring me up, didn't you?Obviously you can put me on hold 'cause I'm not that important, right?"

"Why are you speaking to me like that?" I said, appalled by his mocking tone. "Don't you know I read with the little boy next door in the afternoon? I had told you about it. And my phone was on mute today. Just got home and saw your calls."

"So would it have become too much for you to check your phone once?"

"Yes. It would. Because I was really into the story that I was reading with Jackson?"

"Or were you occupied with someone else that you didn't want to be disturbed and that's why kept your phone on mute?"

"Are you accusing me of cheating on you?" I asked directly, pissed with his words.

There was a brief pause before he asked quietly, "Was Devon there with you and the kid?"

"Yes, he was. He is always there."

That seemed to have infuriated Luke. "Why? Why does he have to be there everyday with you guys?!"

"That's his choice! Jackson is only six. There's nothing wrong if Devon wants to be around the child!"

"Okay, so this means that you have no problems with that bastard being around you everyday. Fucking great!"

That left me startled. Why was he being so much of a jerk? Was he jealous of Devon? Should I be happy then 'cause Stef had told me that if a person is jealous, it meant that he really likes you. But then why was I feeling so pissed at Luke?

"Didn't I tell you that the scum is looking for ways and means to bring me down?! He wants to take my place and become the most popular guy in school but I won't let that happen! You're just a pawn for him to pull me down, so get rid of him."

I rolled my eyes in annoyance hearing that. And I got my answers.

I drew a deep breath and spoke firmly, "Listen, if you have any issues with Devon, go and sort it out with him. Don't drag me into it. And if you're indirectly trying to tell me I should stop reading with Jackson, then I won't. Bye."

I hung up and slumped down on the sofa, my head bowed low. I was feeling so damn crap about the whole thing. Right then the phone in my hand buzzed again. It was Stef. I swiped the screen at once, all set to pour out my distressing feelings to my best friend---

"El, can you come down to the club at once? I think we have a bit of a situation in here...." Stef said, sounding nervous.

"Is it Devon related?" I asked automatically. Because, honestly, Devon had become a synonym to problem in my life these days.

"Um, yeah. It's Devonish."