Chapter 22.

"But it's free food we're talking about!!Why wouldn't you go to the party?" asked Stef, flailing her arms in bewilderment. "I heard they have got great stuff on the menu tonight."

"I don't feel like going. You guys must go and have a great time," I said, looking at her and the boys who were stood in my room.

"I don't understand. You go to your neighbors' to read with Jackson everyday. Now that they are having a party, you are so reluctant. Why?" asked Adam, amused.

"And she thought we'd believe she caught a viral. Never seen such pathetic acting before," snorted Josh.

I gave him a look. Taking a deep breath, I told my friends, "Guys, I've patched up with Luke. And I want to stay away from Devon as much as possible."

I found three dumbfounded faces staring at me next. They were so shocked that they couldn't speak for a good number of seconds which annoyed me.

Stef was the first one to break the silence. "You cannot be serious right now!!" she exclaimed. When I remained solemn, she added further in frustration, "Are you fucked up in your head?!! Why would you take that arse back! Just when I thought you've finally taken a stand and would no longer let a guy walk all over you, you fucking don't waste a sec to prove me wrong!"

"You cannot speak about my boyfriend like this!" I retorted heatedly. "If you don't understand the importance of relationships, then it's your bad. Ever since I was a kid, my Gran has taught me to never give up on relationships 'cause it's the worst thing anyone could ever do. My mother died so many years ago and yet my Papa is madly in love with her. He never got close to any other woman. That's the kind of commitment that inspires me everyday!"

There was a lump in my throat as I spoke my heart out. Stef looked away from me in anger and disappointment.

"Stef, please!" Adam said. "As friends, we must give El all our best wishes and support. We have no right to tell her what to do and what not to. It's wrong if you want to control her life."

"I care about her, is that wrong?" Stef countered. "A relationship is worth saving if the person is worth it. But she's just....you know what, forget it. Just forget it."

I could sense the tension building between Adam and Stef. If they got into a fight because of me, I'd feel horrible.

Taking a cue from my discomfort, Josh spoke, "Are we going to the party or not? Because if I don't get to stuff my mouth with free tasty food, I'd die of heart break."

Silence.

"Okay, you guys go ahead. I will bring El to the party with me," Josh told Adam and Stef.

I tried to refuse but Josh didn't let me speak.

"You heard me, I'm not going to the party," I said firmly after Stef and Adam were gone.

Josh literally fell at my feet and begged, "Please! Please come to the party with me! Please don't say No. Please please please!"

I narrowed my eyes at him. "Last time I checked, you absolutely hated the sight of Devon. Why, then, are you dying to go to his place?"

"When Devon sees us entering the party together, he will get so damn jealous! It will be such a proud moment for me. Like The Devon Parker jealous of me! It would be such a heavenly bliss I could take to the coffin, you wouldn't understand," Josh grinned, extremely pleased with himself.

I rolled my eyes. But I agreed anyway. So while Josh waited downstairs, Gran helped me get dressed. I wore a white knee-length lace frock that fitted me perfectly in all the right places, minimal make-up on my face, those silver ear-rings piercing my ears and most of my black tresses gathered up into a high ponytail and few strands let loose on either side of my face. It was the look and outfit Stef had selected for me.

"You look beautiful, honeybun!" cried Gran in delight from behind me.

"Thanks, Gran," I smiled.

"You aren't looking happy, sweety! Cheer up!" said Gran. "It's sad you never go to any parties. You've never enjoyed life like other kids. There's a get together happening next door and I'm so glad you're not missing out on it.' 

 So yeah, Mr. Parker had come over the other day to extend an invitation to us. Almost all thefamilies residing in Crawford lane have been invited.

"A word of caution, stay away from Devon. That kid has no manners!" Gran frowned hard.

"Uh, okay." I was startled, unable to think what issue she might have with Devon.

"I don't know why they are having a party. It's neither New Years or Christmas or Halloween." I mumbled when I got downstairs with Gran.

"Neither Thanksgiving or any of their birthdays," said Josh, adding to the list after complimenting me on how great I looked.

"Correct!" I said.

"They do have a reason. Of gratitude," smiled Gran. "Mr. Parker is a very gracious man. He loves this neighborhood. And so he has thrown this party to express his thankfulness to the people here for being so warm to his family."

"Yup," said Josh knowingly. "Dad often says how Mr. Parker is a great chap. They get along really well. Wait till your Papa returns, El. I'm sure you'll also be hearing good things from him about Devon's father!"