Chapter 8.

Instagram: rashmita_b  

Luke and I heard that razor sharp voice filled with warning. Shocked by the suddenness, we drew our faces apart and saw Devon standing stood a few feet away with a clenched jaw and eyes resembling burnt coal.

What the hell.

Why can't he just fucking stay away?!

"You're intruding our personal space. Fuck off, douche," Luke spat.

"You're stepping on the space that belongs to none but me," said Devon with icy calmness, "I've had enough. Now back off, Thomas. Eleanor is mine."

The command in his voice sent chills down my spine which was difficult to shrug off.

"I shouldn't hear that ever again," Luke gritted his teeth, taking a threatening step forward.

"Go Away, Devon," I said in a tough voice, holding back Luke.

Devon chuckled. "Why, sweetheart? Am I making your arse of a boyfriend look more fake than he is?"

"Luke, NO!!" I shrieked but it was too late---Luke had already lunged towards Devon and grabbed him harshly by the collar.

I clamped a sweaty hand on my mouth as I stood paralyzed with fear.

"How dare you call me fake, you scum??" said Luke in a voice that shook with masculine rage, "Mind your tongue before you fucking lose it forever."

"You must come up with better threats for a later date, quarterback, " ridiculed Devon, casually releasing himself from Luke's gruesome hold, "because I'll do whatever it takes to be with Eleanor," he added with a raw intensity in his voice.

I got my frozen feet moving and stepped between the two boys, taking Luke a good number of steps backward before he could punch Devon in the eye.

"Eleanor is my girlfriend!! If you try to touch her or even look at her, trust me you don't want to know what would become of you," spewed Luke, his eyes flashing in anger and hatred.

Devon remained as nonchalant as ever as though he was dealing with a pestering toddler. "Eleanor and I had got really close in the swimming pool once---"

"That's a complete lie!" I retorted, shell-shocked.

"---everything that happened between us inside the pool is indescribable," said Devon, smiling slyly at me.

"Don't listen to him, Luke! He's making up sordid stories. Nothing of that sort happened!" I denied strongly, appalled by Devon's falsity.

Luke fixed his cold, grim eyes on the other boy and spoke, "You don't have to worry about anything, Eleanor. I know this bastard is speaking nonsense."

I hugged Luke, feeling happy and relieved. "I'm so grateful that you believe me and also in both of us, Luke," I whispered against his chest.

Our hands linked as I parted from him. Devon never appeared this cold and hostile when I turned to give him a look of disgust. His orbs were spitting out lava and his hands that were curled into lethal fists at his sides were trembling as though to contain the raging storm inside him.

When he spoke, his eyes were dark and frosty as he fixed them upon Luke, "Eleanor will be my girlfriend very soon. You can only hope that I'm kind enough to let go of the quarterback position for you."

Devon walked off there. I felt my blood boil in anger. How the hell could he speak like that as though I wasn't there??!

"I'm so glad you trust me, Luke," I told him when I met him at the campus later that day, "Devon can try a million times to create misunderstandings between us but he can never break us. I've nothing for him."