Death in Your Eyes (part 1)

(Mal's POV)

I took a deep breath as I reentered the hotel lobby. We had just finished practice, and it was brutal. I was sweating more than I ever had. JJ even had to leave early because she got so dehydrated.

Speaking of JJ, she was my roommate. I walked upstairs and found Hope and Carli in there already. I figured they would come and check on her of all people. "Hey Mal," JJ smiled weakly at me.

"Hey Jay," I smiled back. "How're you feeling?"

"Still a little dizzy," she admitted.

"Well, I'm gonna go shower, and then I'll be out of your way. I'm gonna go hang in my Mama and Mom's room."

"Sounds good."

I showered and changed into one of my old Real Colorado shirts. I couldn't wait until I was playing soccer for the Bruins, as much as I missed my club team already.

I went up to Mom and Mama's room, since they were a floor above me, and knocked on the door. Mom answered. "Hey sweetheart," she kissed my head. "Um, you may want to be careful, I'm not sure Chris is feeling too good."

I nodded and she moved so I could come in. Mama was on one of the bed, snuggled up with a teddy bear. I recognized that teddy bear, Mom had won that for her when we went down to Georgia with Moe, at the Perry fair.

"Hey Mama," I spoke softly. "What's wrong?"

"Just not feeling very-"

She cut herself off as she grabbed the trashcan by her bed and threw up. I held her hair up as Mom ran over with a wet cloth. When Mama finished she wiped her face. "Mal, sweetheart, I hate to kick you out," Mama's voice was hoarse. "But I really don't want you to get sick."

"It's okay Mama, I understand," I kissed her head. "I'll see you guys later."

"See you baby girl!"

I left the room and wandered in the hallway for a little while. I knocked on the door of Moe and Crystal's room. "Hey Mal," she smiled sweetly, but I noticed how pale she looked.

"Hey Moe, are you okay?"

"I'm feeling a little sick," she admitted. "Crys went out to get some medicine. I think a bug is going around the team."

I nodded, remaining quiet. "You feeling okay kiddo?"

"Yeah, I'm fine, just not sure where to go. JJ's sick in my room, Mama's sick in Mom and Mama's room, you're sick."

"Hm, not sure how to help you kiddo. You could go hang out with Ali and Ash-" her phone went off- "Never mind, that was Ash, Ali's got it too. If you don't want to get sick, I suggest getting out of here, maybe you could go have a Mal day, go for a drive, treat yourself, you know?"

I nodded. Moe handed me her keys off the table. "I know Chris didn't let you bring your car out here, take mine, just come give me the keys after dinner."

"Thanks Moe," I smiled. "I'd hug you but..."

She laughed. "No problemo, see you later."

"See you! Be safe kiddo!"

"I will! Thanks again! Feel better!"

I ran out of the hotel. I found Moe's car and got in. Starting up the ignition, I buckled my seat belt, and turned on the radio. I laughed as I saw that she had the car on Radio Disney. I laughed even harder as I recognized the song playing, and began to sing along.

"I put my hands up, they're playing my song, the butterflies fly away!

Nodding my head like yeah, moving my hips like yeah!

I put my hands up, they're playing my song, I know I'm gonna be okay!

Yeah yeah yeah yeah, it's a party in the USA!"

I pulled into the parking lot of the mall. I got out, and began shopping. I went got some ice cream, which I hadn't had in forever, and shopped around for a while, before I realized what time it was, and that if I didn't get back to the hotel soon I would be late for dinner, and Mama and Mom would kill me if I were late.

I got into the car and looked at the clock. I had ten minutes before dinner started, and it had taken me fifteen minutes to get there. I didn't bother buckling my seat belt and then began going as fast as legally possible. My phone went off, so I turned it on speaker. "What's up?"

"Mal where are you?" It was Mom.

"I'm so sorry Mom, I lost track of time, don't worry though, I'll be there."

"Mallory Diane Pugh you better be wearing your seat belt."

I looked down, realizing that I had forgotten that. "I am," I lied right through my teeth, and I'm not sure Mom bought it.

"Good, I'll see you at dinner."

She hung up. I got to a red light and impatiently tapped at the steering wheel. I had to get home, and it seemed I was being stopped at every single light I passed. The light finally turned green and I slammed on the gas pedal.

I heard a honking horn to my left. I looked over and saw a car speeding towards me. I slammed on the gas, or so I thought. In the moment of panic I hit the wrong pedal.

I slammed on breaks.

Apparently the other guy couldn't, because moments later I felt the worst pain in my side I had ever felt and everything went black.