Count Down

John looked at his pistol and and ran his fingers down the cold metal. "Okay, it'll be quick. You're going to be fine." John muttered to himself and looked around the dry field. Sweat began to drop from his forehead, causing his hair frizz up more than it already was. The anticipation was getting to him and began to fiddle with the trigger.

"Laurens, are you alright?" A voice rang through his ears. He turned around to see Alexander with a worried expression. "You seem worried." He said placeing a hand on John's shoulder. "No...I'm fine. I'm just..." John sighed and stared at the gun.

Why was he doing this? Why was he risking his life? His mind flooded with questions until he heard someone yell, "Take your positions!"

He took a deep breath and took his position. John looked at Charles and watched as a menacing grin formed on his face. "Such a shame you had to die this way." Charles whispered, while their seconds talked, trying yo form a peace. John narrowed his eyes and grunted. "I'll see you in hell, Lee." He muttered.

John then heard Alexander clear his throat. "Look him in the eye, aim no higher! Summon all the courage you require! Then count!" John gulped and walked as the men counted down. "Number 10! Paces! Fire!" John aimed his gun and pulled the trigger. He heard the gun fire and waited for impact.

He heard a help of pain and slowly opened his eyes. John saw Charles crouched over, gripping his side. "Lee, do you yield!" Alexander yelled, running over to John. "He shot him in the side, yes he yields." Aaron said, kneeling near Charles trying to help him up. "I'm...satisfied." John stuttered, staring at the gun. "Yo, we gotta clear the field! Aaron said, slinging Charles' arm over his shoulder.

"Go, we won!" Alexander said excitedly, and hugged John. John sighed and hugged Alexander back. "What is the meaning of this!" Washington's voice boomed. John and Alexander pulled away, shifting nervously. "Alexander, meet me inside." Washington growled, walking towards his tent.

John looked worriedly at Alexander and grabbed his arm. "Tell him it was my idea." Alexander gave him a reassuring smile. "I'm going to be fine. Don't worry." He said and ran up to Washington.

Only moments later, Alexander came out of the tent and went to his own. John jumped up from his cot. "What did he say?" Alexander shook his head and began to gather up his things. "I have to leave." Alexander muttered, heading out of the tent. "Alex! Write to me!" John called out. He slumped back down on his cot and smoothed back his hair.

He had so much to tell Alexander in so little time. He wanted to tell him he was being deported, and that he might not be coming back. He wanted to tell him about his past life. John then perked up.

There was only one other person who could persuade Washington besides Alexander, Lafayette. John ran to his friends tent and saw Lafayette writing a letter. "Lafayette, I need your help!" John interjected. "What's wrong mon ami?" Lafayette asked, looking up from the paper. "Washington sent Alexander home. You have to convince him to send Alex back." John begged, sitting next to Lafayette.

Lafayette bit his lip and furrowed his brows. "I don't know, Washington is a....how you say? écrou Tough to crac. It could take me forever to convince him." John sighed and nodded. He stood up and walked toward the exit if the tent. "Ya know, Alexander would do it for you if it meant getting Hercules back." John muttered, leaving. Lafayette bit his lip again and sighed.

"Alexander is my friend, and he means that much to John." Lafayette muttered to himself.