Stay Alive (Part Two)

Lafayette came back to the tent, the doctor was still trailing behind him. He crouched down near Hercules' cot, watching his chest rise up and down. "Hercules, mon amour. You have to wake up." Lafayette said quietly and lightly shook his shoulders. "Laf... I'm tired..." Hercules muttered, his eyes still closed.

"I know you are." Lafayette whispered and lightly caressed his face. The doctor soon entered and Lafayette moved away. As he watched the doctor examine his friend, he felt something in his gut that he did the wrong thing. "Is he alright doctor?" Lafayette asked, looking over the doctors shoulder. "He has a high fever. I would try to keep it down. The wound seems infected, however if you keep it clean he'll be just fine." Lafayette nodded.

As the doctor left the tent, Lafayette placed his hand on Hercules' forehead. "Mon cher you're burning up." Hercules coughed and hummed in response. Lafayette took a towel and dipped it into a pan full of water. He lightly dabbed Hercules' forehead. "Ma chère, vous vous sentirez mieux bientôt . Ensuite, vous serez de retour à botter le cul ."

Hercules smiled weakly, "You're language is so beautiful. Even though I don't understand a word coming out of your mouth, it sounds like music to my ears." He laughed softly. Lafayette cracked a small smile. "Maybe you really should go back to being an apprentice, at least until you feel better." Hercules sighed and turned on his side. "Hey, I won't be on the field for long. I'll be back to spyin' soon." 

Lafayette lightly wiped around the stitches, causing Hercules to take in a sharp breath. "Is it still sore mon amour?" Lafayette asked as he moved the rag away. "I'm fine Laf...just continue." Hercules took a big breath and sighed. "Je t'aime Hercules, je suis presque fini." Lafayette stated quietly, continuing to wipe around the stitches.

Lafayette finished cleaning off the dried blood and dipped the rag back into the water. He placed it on Hercules' forehead. "Laf...look in my bag...I might have some medicine in there." Hercules coughed and sat up.
Lafayette nodded and rummaged through Hercules' bag. "All that's in here is a bottle of whiskey." Lafayette said, holding the bottle towards Hercules. "I know." He muttered and took the bottle out if the French man's hand. He took a large gulp and grimaced. "Not the same when you're sick." Hercules said, placing the bottle down.

Lafayette lightly pressed his lips against Hercules' forehead. "Do you feel better?" He asked as Hercules coughed. "With you here? Yeah, 'm fine." Hercules muttered, and his eyes fluttered closed his eyes. "Sleep well." Lafayette said quietly rising from the bed.

There was a sudden rustling and someone yelling, "Hercules!" from outside the tent. John and Alexander came running in to see Hercules asleep. Not paying attention to his chest rising and falling, they silently wept and held onto each other. "He was so young." John cried. Lafayette shot them a glare and pressed his finger against his mouth. "Herc is fine, he's resting. Now, get out if here." Lafayette shooed his friends out of the tent and followed them.