Chapter Thirty-One

Start from the beginning

His face was pale & shiny with sweat; his eyebrows slightly furrowed into a pained frown. The bed covers were wrapped around him right up to his neck; but despite all that he still seemed to be shivering all over.

"Oh my God..." I breathed, "Hailee, I...shit..."

"Looks bad, huh?" said Hailee in a quiet, shaky voice.

"Lou..?" I bit my lip anxiously as I looked at him, "Can you hear me, Lou? It's Laura,"

Louis didn't do anything but let out a despondent, weak moan. After several moments, his eyes fluttered open to tiny slits as he looked up at us.

"Laura..." his voice was croaky and feeble, but he still smiled at me, "hiya, love. How are you?"

I was completely relieved to hear his voice, and I immediately smiled at him.

"How am I? How are you?"

"I feel...like complete and utter crap," he replied matter-of-factly, "have the others...found the medicine..?"

"I'm sure they have, Lou. They should be back soon."

"You mean...they're not even here yet..?"

"I'm afraid not," I sighed.

After a long silence, Louis finally let out an anemic little "Huh" before speaking again.

"Well. Hazza's sure taking his time, i'nt he..?"

I couldn't help but chuckle at his comment. "It's a long trip, Lou. You'd expect it to take a few days."

"If I die before he gets here...make sure you tell him that it was all...his fault."

"Aw, Louis..." my face softened with sympathy, "don't be like that. You're gonna be fine. You'll still be well alive when they come back, and those antibiotics will be fighting off that flu for you in no time."

"They'd better," he groaned slightly, "I miss my son. I miss Eric..."

He was forced to cut himself off as he was suddenly attacked by a nasty coughing fit; making me jump a bit and urging Hailee to prop his head up on his pillows a little more while telling me to stay back. Once his coughing finally died down, he continued to speak.

"...but I can't see him. Fucking flu."

"Eric misses you too, Lou. But everyone else – especially Hailee – is looking after him just fine. Don't you worry. And I'll make sure he'll be the first to see you once you're 100% better," I promised him.

A smile immediately broke out across Louis' face at my words. "You're a doll, Laura. Harry made the right choice...letting you stick around," he then broke out a weak chuckle, "I'm sorry I tried to kill you...that day you dropped in,"

I laughed. "Don't worry about it. I completely understand," I gave him the lightest punch on the shoulder, "you rest up now, Tomlinson. Rest is the best thing for you until those antibiotics arrive."

Louis chuckled again, and nodded. "You got it, boss."

"I'll leave you to it, Hails," I whispered to her; causing her to nod as I made my way to the door.

As I left Hailee to look after Louis, I shut their door behind me and let out a shuddery breath as I leaned against the cheap wood.

I still can't believe it. Louis looked terrible. If he didn't get some antibiotics soon...that flu is going to become a deadly serious problem.

Come on, Harry. Where are you?

***

"Laura?" I heard Rachel's voice call from outside the door to me & Harry's cabin.