Left or right

One night I was driving alone on an empty road. I honestly didn't know where I was going and it didn't help that there was no one around to give me direction or even tell me where I was. At this rate, I was afraid I would run out of gas and I would be stuck here.
  I hoping to at least find a hotel to stop at so I could get some sleep. I just had to continue driving until I found somewhere to go.
  Just when I felt like I was going to fall asleep, I saw a figure that looked like like a man standing in the middle of the road. I felt like things would finally be better.
  I stopped in front of the man and got out of my car. I couldn't tell how old the man was, however he looked around 40. As I approached the man, he didn't seem to react. He just stood there with a blank expression.
  My vision was kind of my blurry due to my lack of sleep so when I thought the man looked like he had black eyes that looked almost like a dark void, I figured my tired brain was just messing with me.
  "Excuse me sir, do you have any idea where a hotel is around here?" I asked him with a relived voice.
  "You can either go left or right," the man replied with the same blank stare.
  This confused me. Did he mean that there was two different hotels in either direction or something? And why did his eyes look so black....
  "What do you mean by that?" I asked him.
  "You can either go left or right," he repeated with the same blank stare that seemed like it was piercing through my soul.
  I decided just go with the strange man's advice since I had no other choice at this point and got back in my car. This situation was definitely strange, but I tried to not think about it.
  Once I stared up the engine and got ready to go, I noticed the man was still standing in the middle of the road. I honked my horn to attempt to make him move, but he just stood there.
  I just wanted to be on my way, so I drove around him. He continued to stand there, and his eyes still looked like a black void.
  I decided to go left, but as continued to drive on this road, I began to notice that something wasn't right. I kept hearing the voices of screaming children, but I didn't see anything around me. 
  My heart stopped when I heard tapping on my window but when I turned to look at it, I saw no one was there. This was way to creepy for me. I had to turn back.
  I turned my car around and continued to back. The road seemed longer then before and it seemed like the screams of the children were getting louder. I swear I could even hear them saying things like "help us!"keep driving!"along with giggling and crying.
  The screams got louder and louder and then they suddenly stopped. I saw the man standing right in front of me.
  "You can go left or right," he said again, this time it gave me a cold sweat and a shiver down my back.
  I was sick of this man, so I drove right past him to the second road.
  This road was empty. No voices. No sounds. Nothing. It was just a dark and empty road that went straight. I continued to drive until I ran out of gas, trapping myself here. I drove for so long, I don't even know where I am anymore.
  So tell me, would you keep driving left, or would you drive right?