Chapter 41

The whole world seemed deathly silent the following night. The glow of the large golden full moon cast a haunting glow across the landscape, its light reflecting off the fresh layer of snow on the ground, being that it was towards the middle of February. The GUN Commander and his small army waited at the rendezvous point.

"Ugh, what's taking so long!? Damn vampires!! It's freezing out here!!" a young GUN soldier whispered in complaint, wrapping his arms tightly around his body to try and keep the cold out. Their mere uniforms didn't seem to be preserving much warmth in there.

"Dude, forget about the cold!!" whispered another beside him, "It's these vamps that I'm worried about! Their Queen wiped out all of our bases worldwide in one night and that was nearly a month ago!! And now we're supposed to be keeping this thing in confinement!?

"There's no telling how much power he has!!" he continued to whisper. "The Commander's nuts!! If and when that vampire manages to escape, we're screwed!!"

"Silence in the ranks!!" snapped the Commander from atop his post on an army tank a few feet away, having picked up on the whispering but not what had been said. His two-colored eyes steadily scanning the landscape as the others quietly looked on. On the ground beside the tank, Knuckles and Rouge stood on either side of Tails, both with a coat on while the young fox wore nothing. The poor kitsune shivered as the winter wind blew, wrapping his twin tails around his body to try his best and stay warm. Both Knuckles and Rouge felt terrible; they were under orders from the Commander not to assist the fox in any way. They'd made the poor kit go through all this, just to get their hands on that good-for-nothing Sonic the Hedgehog!! He's the one to blame for Tails being mixed up in this whole situation.

"They're here," the human stated and everyone's eyes turned towards the dark evening sky to find a group of beings on the wing. Said group landed a good distance away, but their glowing eyes gave away who they were.

Shadow stood beside his queen with Scourge, Sonia, Manic, Mephiles, Silver and a few additional drones standing close in case anything happened. Not that Sonic needed help or anything; his friends were there for support more than anything. Each vampire glared at the army ahead of them, each with a frown set in place. Rouge, Knuckles, and Blaze tensed somewhat at the gazes, but most of all from the look that Sonic was sending them. This was their first time seeing him in his vampire form up close and they were scared speechless!!!

"Good afternoon, my queen," the GUN Commander smirked.

"Cut it with the small talk, Commander, and hand over the boy," Sonic snapped, wanting to get this over with as soon as possible.

"In order to surrender, you're gonna have to give me your ring first," said the G.U.N. commander.

The cobalt ruler of the vampires tensed slightly before he looked at his friends. Scourge, Sonia, Manic and the others all held looks of deep concern and worry, but they're eyes also reassured him that everything would be fine.

"For the last time, the ring stays, Commander," the azure frowned. "We agreed that you would take me in exchange for Tails. That was our deal, nothing more, nothing less."

The human grumbled something under his breath before he agreed.

"Very well," he sighed before looking at the others. "Release the prisoner."

Knuckles and Rouge both released Tails, shoving him forward, and towards the vampires. Even though Tails was being saved, he still feared the vampires. Even if Sonic was one of them, he quickly looked at his brother, 'I'm so sorry' he mouthed towards him, hoping he'd understand. He wished that Sonic had never gotten mixed up with the vampires; then maybe none of this would've happened....