Chapter 31

The night rose grey and rainy with the moon hidden within dark clouds. At the vampire palace, on the second floor from the top, lived Mephiles and Silver.

Silver was very pregnant and had grown to an enormous size and due at any moment. Mephiles was losing it. The Beta now never left the room, let alone the palace, unless it was to get something his mate wanted. Not when any day his child could come.

In bed, Mephiles sat up, silently watching over his dear mate. He watched as Silver slept and breathed in and out with his stomach moving a bit, showing the baby kicking and stretching its legs. Mephiles, who was curious, very much like a child, wondered how he could sleep like that.

Silence was broken by thunder and a whip of lightning tore across the sky, waking Silver in fright.

"Meph?" he cried out as he rose quickly, his back not liking the sudden movement and shot a pain up his back, causing him to groan and placed his hand on it.

"It's ok... It was only lighting." Mephiles calmed down his mate. Breathing out of relief, Silver looked down to his stomach and rubbed it tenderly.

"Are you alright? Did you get hurt?" He asked, stroking his mate's fragile stomach.

Silver sighed and replied, "Yeah, just got up a little too fast and she didn't like it." Patting his stomach, he smiled.

"Do you mind if getting me a few doughnuts and a glass of chocolate milk? I'm hungry..." he looked at his husband and gave a smile, his hand remaining on his stomach so as to say that the baby was hungry, too.

Meph nodded and cautiously stood to his feet, not wanting to cause too much movement on the mattress to cause discomfort to his mate. That's the last thing he wanted to do to him. As he walked into the kitchen, he looked back into the bedroom. Being that both the Alphas' and Beta's bedrooms were actually suites and the bedroom was very close to where the kitchen was, Mephiles had an excellent view of his wife. Just seeing Silver sit there with his huge stomach made him think of something bad, which he never intended to do. As he finished getting his pregnant mate's snack, Silver made an attempt to get to his feet.

Taking a breath, he tried to sit up straight which was impossible to do since his large belly was in the way. With much effort, he managed to get on the edge of the bed. It was hard for him to get his balance and to gain footing to stand, but he got it.

Starting to waddle, Silver held his belly and made his way to the kitchen where Mephiles was. Making his way back and walking through the doorway, Mephiles saw Silver waddling.

"Silver! Go sit back down!" Putting the box of doughnuts and glass of chocolate milk down on the kitchen table, he went to his mate and helped support him. "You need to go back to bed and rest. I don't mind getting you you're snack."

His wife only smiled and gave a small laugh, "Mephie, I'm fine. I just want to stretch my legs; they're starting to get stiff." But he remained his firm hold on his uke.

"No. You haven't listened to me at all recently. Please save me some headaches and just take it easy? Our daughter is due very soon and the one thing I don't need is you doing something excessive."

Once more, Silver gave a small smile and kissed Mephiles on the cheek. He then took his seme's hand and placed it on his huge stomach. "See, she's fine. She wants me to walk around, Meph." Walking to the kitchen table, Silver found the usual chair he sat at and started to lower himself down. Sitting became a problem ever since he entered his 4th month. Mephiles, sat down across from his mate who started to eat. Another whip of lighting cracked the sky, louder than before, causing the lights to dim off and back on.