Chapter 6

"TAILS!!!" Sonic shouted, bursting into Tail's workshop.

"GAH!!" Tails jumped with surprise, hitting his head underneath the Tornado since he was giving it new upgrades.

"Darn it, Sonic, will you stop doing that!?" the kitsune shouted, sliding from underneath the plane and rubbing his head.

"Oops, sorry bro," Sonic apologized as he help the fox stand.

"Oww, I wouldn't be surprised if I didn't end up with a brain hemorrhage because of you," he groaned, rubbing the sore area even more.

"Yeah, yeah, yeah, I'm sorry," he said quickly. "Listen, what do you know about vampires?"

Tails blinked. "Vampires? What the heck do you want to know about vampires for?" he replied, raising a brow. Sonic sweat dropped and rubbed the back of his neck.

"Uh, you know, heh...I uh, just saw this...new...movie. Yeah, movie!! I just saw this new movie about vampires the other night and I'm a big fan all of a sudden!" he lied, laughing sheepishly.

"Uh-huh," Tails merely said, not buying his story one bit. He could easily tell when Sonic was lying, but he decided to let it drop.

"Well, I know just about as much as the next guy but..." he wondered, trailing off as he thought.

"Do you even think they exist?" he asked.

"No, I don't think they exist," Tails replied.

Sonic sighed with relief, but he celebrated too soon.

"I know they exist," the kitsune added.

"What!? H-how?" he stammered. So all that's been going on really wasn't his imagination.

"Well, I have been doing a little bit of research on them lately," he replied, walking over to his work station, finding his laptop buried underneath paperwork and blueprints.

Sonic just blinked. 'Well, that was convenient.'

"What do you mean?"

"Do you remember all those people that went missing over the past few months?"

"Yeah..." he replied, not liking where this was going.

"They were found," Tails responded. "But, the authorities tried to cover up what happened to them," he said as he typed away at his keyboard, his eyes glued to the screen.

"What are you doing?" Sonic asked, leaning over his shoulder to get a better look.

"Hacking into the police station's mainframe," he merely replied.

"Wat da freak!?!? Tails, what the hell is wrong with you!? Do you know how much trouble we'd be in if we got caught!?" Sonic panicked.

"Aaannnddd....I'm in!!"

"Full screen, please."

As the kitsune resumed his hacking, he said, "I found it strange that each case was now considered 'unsolved'. And I found out why."

Sonic listened intently as his brother continued, "So far there are 27 individual deaths and each victim died the same way, Sonic." Tails opened up one file after the other, revealing evidence from each crime scene. It was a good thing that Sonic hadn't eaten breakfast that morning; otherwise he would have puked it up by now. Each picture was gruesome and gut-wrenching. Every missing person, human or Mobian, all had been brutally murdered, some with dismembered limbs and some with their stomachs slashed open with their intestines splayed out all over the ground.

But they all had one thing in common, two bite marks to the neck and from the information provided in the files, they'd all been drained of their blood.