Chapter 35

Four agonizing days had passed aboard the Space Colony ARK and Sonic still hadn't woken up. The doctors had found out that the pregnancy was too much strain on Sonic's body and had forced him into a coma. And Shadow was just a nervous wreck. He didn't eat, he didn't sleep, and his smooth midnight fur was even starting to turn dull.

To make matters worse, he'd just watched the news and the world below was abuzz with the fact that G.U.N. made the 'startling' discovery that vampires truly do exist by 'stumbling upon a large vampire nest while in their travels'. The Commander was to be given a medal in a day's time for 'making such an incredible find', for 'putting this threat to humankind on the run', and 'being in the process of wiping out this threat before it's too late'. The Earth was in celebration while he and his people were suffering in the process.

Shadow felt that he was failing them as Alpha and without their queen, what could they do? He'd never felt so low and degraded before in his life. The father wasn't able to even look at his children without his heart filling with guilt and regret, so nurses all tended to their needs. While nurses watched over the tiny pups, nursing them while their mother couldn't, Shadow spent nearly every waking moment in the laboratory.

Every part of the ARK was exactly like the inside of the king's palace back on earth, even the lab was the same and stationed at the center of the outer space vessel.

Just as was the case all those months ago, about 8 regeneration tanks towered over the king. Shadow placed his hand on one of the glass surfaces. Each bacta tank held a sleeping vampire, engulfed in the warm chemical bath to heal their wounds from G.U.N.'s attack. All the beings were attached to various wires and tubes, same as before, which were in turn connected to computers monitors, where scientists and doctors worked around the clock. Shadow slowly walked around each of the large tanks, just as his mate had did before, gazing inside at his wounded followers.

He stopped in front of his wife.

Shadow's face showed so much pain and regret when he gazed up at his queen, placing his hand on the warm glass surface, the hand that held his mate's wedding ring. Sonic looked well-rested and at peace as he appeared weightless in the liquid, his curvaceous body more beautiful than before now that he'd given birth. His stomach was even flat once more after only four days, which meant that his regenerative powers were back on track and his chaotic pulse was almost back to normal and that, in turn, meant progression on his part. Now, if only he could wake up.

"I don't know if you can hear me, but...I'm so sorry, Sonikuu," the Alpha sighed, looking at the closed eyes of his beloved uke as he floated gracefully in the chemical solution. "You tried to tell me, didn't you, but I wouldn't listen...this is all my fault."

Unbeknownst to him, Sonic did hear him, he just couldn't respond or anything.

"This is not your fault, Shadow," Mephiles said as he and the others approached, including Silver who had left Crystal in the care of a nursemaid. He placed a hand on his twin's shoulder as he added, "The doctors managed to save him and that's all that matters, right?"

"He'll be fine, Shadow," Scourge said as he walked up and placed a hand on his other shoulder.

"Besides, G.U.N. is the one to blame," said Manic as he crossed his arms. "If they wouldn't have attacked us, then Sonic wouldn't have went into premature labor and none of this would've happen."

"Manic!" Sonia gasped, slapping her brother on the back of the head. "I can't believe you just said that!!"

"Ow! Well, it's true!!" he protested as he rubbed the sore area before Rosie did the same thing.