Chapter 38

"Shadow?"

"Hm?" said male turned to his brother Mephiles as both males watched their mates tend to their pups in the nursery. Young Crystal was happily giggling in Silver's lap and trying to reach over and touch her little cousin Dark who was currently watching her curiously from his mother's arms with his fingers in his mouth. Sonia, Rosie, and Fiona were just ogling over little Doom as he sat in his Aunt FiFi's lap, the ebony pup looking confused at all that was going on around him, while Scourge tried to keep Gaia from slobbing all over his shades which he'd taken off his head for her to see when she'd started crying for them. And poor Manic was having an even harder time trying to keep Chaos's little claws from wanting to grab and pull at the piercings in his ears.

All the proud mothers could do was smile and chuckle as their pups interacted with their other relatives. Sonic's pups had all opened their eyes nearly a week ago with Doom and Dark having green eyes like their mother's and Chaos and Gaia's eyes being crimson like Shadow's. And Crystal of course, took her eyes after Silver.

"May I speak with you in private for a moment?" the pale-blue streaked male asked.

Shadow raised a brow at that but complied with his twin, not before looking back at his family once more, though. Sonic smiled happily as he held a giggling Dark up high, making funny faces and silly noises at his baby.

"What is it?" Shadow asked as he closed the door behind them.

"Have you noticed that something has been a bit off about Sonic lately?" Mephiles asked with crossed arms.

Shadow blinked before a slight frown formed, crossing his arms as well, and "What do you mean?"

"I mean that his personality has changed a little," his brother answered. "Now, I understand why he acted the way he did when his pups were threatened, and I would've done the same thing for Crystal...but don't you think taking over the world was a little unnecessary?"

Shadow's frowned deepened but he kept silent, silently telling Mephiles to further explain.

Mephiles sighed in frustration, "Shadow listen to me; just stop and think for a minute. Haven't you noticed that Sonic hasn't been the same since he came out of his coma?"

Shadow paused at that and now that he thought about it...Sonic had been acting strange. If his mate was the most powerful being in way over 500 dimensions, then why the heck did he want to take over Planet Earth?

"I'll ask him later on..." Shadow reassured his brother as they made their way back to their families.

***

Later on that evening...

"Sonikuu, I need to ask you something..." Shadow said with crossed arms as he leaned against the doorway for the nursery, watching his mate hand over a nodding Gaia to a nearby nursemaid while three other females tended to the other slumbering pups.

"What is it?" Sonic asked once he made sure that his pups were alright enough for him to leave the room (this being his fourth time checking!!).

"Would you mind telling me the real reason as to why you took over Planet Earth nearly three weeks ago?" his mate asked as he escorted his mate down the long winding corridor that led to the observation deck.

"There was no real reason," Sonic said, shrugging his shoulders as if it wasn't a big deal.

Shadow blinked in confusion.

"It was just a spur-of-the-moment thing," Sonic sighed, as he placed his clawed hand on the glass window, gazing down at the blue and green planet below. "There was a voice in my head that said take over the world while I'm at it, so...I did."