Chapter 3

Continued...

Sonic took a deep breath and made the decision that would change his life forever.

"Alright, I'll go."

"Excellent," Scourge sneered, flashing his white fangs that made Sonic cringe. The other vampires looked utterly disappointed. So, they all departed to go forth into the night to find their next victims to quench their never-ending thirst.

"The palace is at least two nights' journey from here, but we should arrive in no time if we run," Scourge added. "But before we go," he grabbed a handful of Sonic's chest fur and pulled him close, making Sonic wince in pain.

"Vampires can read minds, just to let you know. So if I catch even the slightest hint of you wanting to escape, I will have sucked you dry before you have time to blink, got it!?" he snarled, his ears pinned back with his forehead pressed against Sonic's, looking so threatening it would've made Dracula want his mama!

Sonic eyes were as wide as dinner plates. He quickly nodded at the glowing eyes in front of him. He could've sworn he'd gone into cardiac arrest at least seven times already.

"Come on, Scourge, lighten up a little. The Alpha wants us to bring him there alive, remember?" Manic piped up, laying a hand on Scourge's shoulder. Scourge growled at him; Manic quickly let go, looking just about as scared as Sonic.

"Alright, enough!!" Sonia protested, shoving Scourge away from Sonic, causing him to release his grip. Apparently, she wasn't as scared of Scourge as Manic was. Scourge just glared at her before he crossed his arms and looked away. And poor Sonic wanted to cry because his chest hurt like hell!!!

"How about we make this trip a little more interesting," she suggested. "You know, to loosen the new guy up a bit before he meets the king? Because, right now," she smirked and strutted over to Sonic who was rubbing his sore chest and raked a claw under his chin, making the azure male shiver, "he is way too tense."

Manic snarled when he saw this and cracked his knuckles and stomped over to the two, raising his fist to make contact with Sonic's face. Sonic saw this and flinched, expecting the hit, but never got it. He looked and saw Scourge in front of him, his clawed hand having stopped the blow.

"Enough, already," Scourge stated quietly, which was like a calm sea before a hurricane.

"Jeez, Manny, calm down!!" Sonia fussed. She couldn't believe him!

"I'll calm the f*** down when he stops flirting with you!!" he shouted.

"Guys," Sonia said.

"Hey, who the hell said that I was flirting with her!?" Sonic shouted back.

"Guys," Sonia said again.

Manic snarled, snatching his fist out of Scourge's grip, and approached Sonic saying, "Listen, you lil' blue ball of crap, you stay away from her, ya got that!?"

"Guys," Sonia said one more time, Scourge having since stepped out of the way.

"Well, tell her to keep her claws off me, then!!" he shouted back, having a green vampire mad at him for the second time that night.

"ENOUGH!!!!" Came a shout so strong, that the wind from it all made the trees bend. It scared the boy hogs so much that Manic had actually jumped into Sonic's arms before he knew it. Even Scourge flinched, for a moment, and picked up his shades that had flown off. They all stared over at Sonia, who was looking as ticked as ever.

"If there is one thing that I can't stand, it's when someone ignores me," she growled, her quills sharped, her fangs and claws longer, and her glowing eyes brighter. All the boys (including Scourge) gulped.

Sonia took a deep breath and calmed herself by slowly (very slowly) counting to ten, looking normal again. Well, about as normal as a vamp can get, anyway. Sonic then saw what, or rather who, he was holding and dropped his heavy load. Manic hit the dirt with a thud.

"The Alpha said that if any harm comes to blue boy here, he will do what to all three of us?" she asked with her hands on her hips (again) as she tapped her foot expectedly.

"Pour holy water down our throats and shove a 15-inch stake through our hearts," Manic stood up and mumbled like a spoiled brat.

Sonic couldn't help but snicker at him despite his own situation. Sonia was acting like his friggin' mother! When Manic heard him, he reacted by doing something utterly and completely childish. He stuck his tongue out at him.

"Exactly," Sonia smiled proudly. "Now, if you don't mind I would like to keep my immortality, thank you, so let's get this show on the road."

"What did you have in mind to ease off Blue's 'tension', by the way?" Scourge asked as he leaned against a tree with his arms crossed, making air quotations at the word tension.

"Hey, whoever said that I was tense!?" Sonic protested.

"Dude, you're surrounded by three VAMPIRES who haven't eaten all day," Manic replied. "If I were in your shoes," he took a quick look at Sonic's sneakers. "Nice shoes, by the way. Anyhow, if I were in your place, I'd be pretty tense myself right about now."

"Which brings us back to what I've been trying to say for the last 15 minutes!!" Sonia groaned in frustration. "Why don't we race there?"

Sonic's ears perked up at the word. "Race?"

"Of course," Sonia smiled before cockily adding, "Unless you're scared of getting beaten by a girl?"

Sonic snickered, "Hah! As if!"

"Sounds good to me," Scourge replied.

Sonic blinked, "Wait a minute, you have super speed, too!?"

Scourge was gone in an emerald streak and 15 seconds later, had the red Chaos Emerald in his hand.

"That answer your question?" he asked tossing the gem in the air.

Sonic's mouth hit the ground for the umpteenth time that night. That's the one that Eggman had!!

"Okay, guys, seriously," Sonia said, "We gotta move. Now. The king is NOT a patient male. On you mark..." she said getting into take-off position, the guys following suit.

"Get set..." Sonic said, actually enjoying himself. He'd never actually had anyone to give him a real race before. Despite them all being vampires, they seemed like pretty okay people. May need a few attitude adjustments, though.

"GO!!!" Manic and Scourge shouted.

The four speed demons disappeared into the night.