Chapter 5: Popularity

Start from the beginning

"Damian doesn't deserve you",Ethan crossed his arms and looked at her.
"I know, but he's beautiful, his eyes, his hair his jawline is to die for and his figure...ugh his abs",she sighed dreamingly as she stared at him across the cafeteria.

"Have you seen his abs?",Ethan asked annoyed.
Lola froze.
"Well...not yet",she blurted out. "Bahah! You two really aren't a real couple",Bart laughed and pointed at Lola.

Lola grabbed his finger.
"That's not true take that back", she suddenly became the devil incarnated.
"Lola let go of him!",Sandra said pulling at her and Ethan just watched.
Eventually after his finger had turned purple from lack of blood flow she let go.

"You do realise he will be inheriting billions of dollars eventually?",Ethan said sipping his juice.
"I'm quite aware of the financial side, to be honest that's why I started to like him and then it just blossomed into something so special I can't explain it",she was daydreaming again.

"That's the nuts way of saying you're obsessed with him",Bart said waiting for his finger to turn back to it normal colour.

Lola ignored him and looked over to where Damian had been looking earlier.
He'd been looking at Elena. She was sure of it.
Elena smiled at something Myria said, which made her prettier, Lola clenched his fists. She looked over at Damian who was standing with a bunch of sporty students but he glimpsed over at Elena again. Lola watched as his features softened as he looked at her.
Elena wasn't paying attention, she was too busy talking with her friends.

Lola was furious and scoffed.
"Like hell I'm letting this take root", she growled.
"Will you excuse me..I have something I need to address",she said as she stood up.

She fixed her skirt and walked over to Elena's table.

"Hi Elena! Hi Alix! Hi Maria, is it?",Lola faked smiled them.
Elena jumped at Lola's voice and so did the other two. "Actually it's Myria",Myria corrected her. "Oh right whatever",she didn't care.
"What do you want?",Alix glared at her.
"I need to speak to Elena for a second",Lola smiled.
"What's wrong?",Elena said confused and slightly uneasy.
Lola bent down towards Elena. Elena suddenly felt small.

" If you haven't gotten the memo by now, Damian and I are together",she spoke as if Elena was a kindergartener.
Elena looked back at her friends then at Lola. "Congrats?",Elena said confused.
Elena could practically see the steam coming out of Lola's ears. "Don't give me that sarcasm, I know what you're doing but it won't work! Damian's with me! Don't you forget that!",she spat.

"Lola what are you talking about? Are you feeling okay?",Elena thought she was hallucinating. "I'm not stupid! I see everything and you are trying to steal Damian from me, you.. you slu-",Myria interrupted her.

"Get lost you loose canon, before you dig your hole any deeper",Myria had no time for this nut.

Lola was now jumpy and frustrated it didn't help that people were staring, she didn't want to walk away and look like a fool, she wanted the final word.
Suddenly she got one hell of an idea.
"Okay I'll leave but first",she smirked and picked up Alex's fresh fruit smoothie. "Just a final warning for Dearest Elena",she smiled as she poured the red strawberry and raspberry smoothie onto Elena's head.
The smoothie flowed down off her head down onto her face and all over her uniform.

———

The entire cafeteria gasped and went silent, everyone turned to Elena and Lola.
One of the boys nudged Damian. "Hey look what you're crazy girlfriend did now",he said shocked.
Damian rolled his eyes.
"Now what-",he turned and saw Elena standing up from her seat, her hair and face covered in red smoothie as it dripped down her uniform, Lola buckling over in laughter. "Oh no",he said, feeling his heart race.

———

No one laughed.
They just stared.
Elena just stood there staring down at herself. Had Lola actually just done this? Was this some kind of nightmare? Elena could feel the panic beginning to surge in her chest.
"That's it!",Myria went to grab Lola but Alix caught her. "No Myria don't!",Alix stopped her.

Elena couldn't hear anything but Lola's heartily laugh, that damned laugh it rang through Elena's body like a bullet. She couldn't take a full breath, with anger or with panic she wasn't sure.
Then she heard yelling as someone grabbed Lola.
"Lola! Let's go! Come on!",he said as he picked Lola up and dragged her away. "I'm so so sorry",he said to Elena as he pulled Lola away.
Elena looked up furious and upset and looked him dead in the eye, she swore Damian flinched but as soon as it there it was gone.

"Don't apologise, why are you apologising?!",Lola shouted. "Shut up Lola! Just stop talking!",Damian snapped furiously.
Elena stormed out of the Cafeteria, completely humiliated and embarrassed .
"Elena wait!",her friends called on after her.
"Lola's so dead",Bart said eating Lola's sandwich as he watched as Damian dragged Lola away.
"Let go of me!",she said annoyed. "What the hell was that for?!",Damian yelled as he let her go. "Proving a point",Lola said fixing the sleeves of her blazer.

"What point would you be proving? That you've lost it?! Because Lola congratulations you proved that point!",Damian said furiously. "You could have looked at any girl and you literally had to choose Elena Sullivan, really??" She exclaimed.

Before Damian could say another word, they were stopped by the principal. "Come with me Lola Franklin, we need to have a chat",she said taking her to her office.

———
The hallway was quiet.
Elena stuffed her sticky pink uniform into her locker and slammed it furiously. She only had her gym clothes from yesterday which were all crinkled and know she was going to have to explain herself to every teacher why she wasn't wearing her uniform. She had managed to get the redness out of her hair but if was still really sticky. She was waiting to see how Lola would snake her way out of this suspension. Elena could see it now, the principal would pull Elena aside, explain that Lola's father was a school sponsor and they couldn't loose the funds, so she'd just have to move on and get over it.
She sighed.

"Elena"
A voice said from behind. Elena turned around quickly and dropped her school bag.
It was Damian.
Elena went redder then the smoothie that had been poured onto her.

"Oh hey",she squeaked. "I didn't mean to frighten you."he said gently as he took in her nervous posture. "You'll have to excuse me, I'm a little on edge."she tried to calm herself.
"I just wanted to apologise for earlier, Lola's one step off Arkham",he scratched the back of his head.
Elena smiled at his attempt at humour. "Have fun tryna keep a lid on that, believe me I tried",she joked. "She can be Summer's problem, he's the one constantly giving her Mooney eyes." He shrugged

"Oh but I thought-the two of you?",she quirked her head to the outside. "Nope, I hate her guts, always have",he smiled. "I see we have that in common",she she rolled her eyes. "But you guys are on the Gotham Gossip together?"she remembered the front cover. He raised a dark eyebrow. "You read that rubbish? Every word they write is part of a false narrative, have you seen the way they shame women into having the so called perfect body?" He shook his head.
Elena couldn't help but giggle. "My stepmother, Selina is always complaining about it." He tried to explain.
He scratched the back of his neck again.
Was he nervous?.
"Here",he handed her a jumper.

It was one of the hoodies given to all the children whose parent contribute to the school funding. "It doesn't fit me anymore so you can have it",he shrugged

"Oh wow thank you Damian, I'll give it back to you at the end of school",she smiled. "No keep it, take it as an apology gift",he said backing away from her.

Elena put it on. It smelt like cinnamon and what she thought was old books or something old anyways.
She suddenly felt special.

"Thank you",she said again as he left. He just nodded oddly as he moved off to his next class.
The jumper was still obviously too big but Elena was okay with that.
She kinda felt like a popularkid.