Chapter 2

The first thing Ruby noticed was the smell. Her sense of smell was clouded by the industrial odour that waved through the streets. Still feeling the adrenaline from her time travel, she stood in awe at the sight before her. She had made it. Women wearing long skirts and men wearing top hats were walking along the stone road. Children were holding newspapers and shouting out headings, in hopes of getting customers. Men wearing red suits seemed to patrol the streets and were casting suspicious glances at Ruby.

"Amazing!" Ruby whispered to herself, still in awe.

"Get out of my way!"

Ruby was ripped out of her thoughts as a carriage raced towards her at an incredible speed. She just managed to jump out of the way as the carriage raced passed her. To her misfortune, the wheels of the carriage drove through a puddle and soaked Ruby.

"Ah! Oh hell no!" Ruby cursed, looking down at her shirt and noticing the dark stains that were starting to form.

People were starting to stare and point at her.

"Who is she?"

"Look at her clothes!"

"She must be a foreigner."

Ruby began to feel self conscious and ran into the nearest alleyway. She wasn't wearing clothes that were appropriate to the time she was in. Her black jeans and white top, now decorated with dark specks thanks to the carriage, were sure to raise attention in the streets.

"Let's see if Boss gave me the correct currency to buy myself some decent clothes," Ruby said to herself, opening the satchel and rummaging through it. Her hand brushed across something cold and metallic. A loud toot emerged from the object, piercing through the silent alleyway.

Dropping the satchel, Ruby backed away from it, her eyes wide in fear. Something from inside of the satchel began moving and a white globe flew out of it, almost giving Ruby a heart attack.

"I'm free! Master?"

"What on earth are YOU doing here?" Ruby shouted at I.B, clutching her chest.

"Oh, it's you," I.B noticed in a mocking tone.

"I don't understand," Ruby began.

"Where am I?"

"19th century. Now answer my question, you stupid globe. Why are you here?"

I.B began to toot hysterically, flying around the alleyway at top speed.

"Master? Why did you leave me with this insolent girl?"

Ruby scoffed as she tried to catch I.B. She eventually caught the panicking robot and held it tight between her hands.

"I remember now. You flew into my bag. Just great! Now I am stuck with you until this mission is over," Ruby hissed.

"I don't want to be with you either! I want to go home!" I.B started complaining loudly, the metallic voice ringing through the alleyway.

Ruby sighed and admitted defeat.

"Look, I need to find the shroud of Eden and then give it to a man called Crawford Starrick. Until then, you have to stay by my side."

I.B noticed the defeat in her voice and stopped tooting.

"And we might be here for a very long time, considering I don't even know what the man looks like," Ruby added.

I.B flew out of her hands and positioned himself in front of the alley's wall. A projection of a man with short, dark hair and a large moustache that was curled up, appeared on the wall.

"This is Starrick? Impressive moustache." Ruby noticed, walking closer to the projection.

"Crawford Starrick, born 18th of August, 1827 and died in 1868," I.B automatically said.

"Died this year, huh? Maybe his death was the reason why the future is crumbling," Ruby thought out loud.

"Are you done kissing the projection?" I.B asked.

Ruby stepped back from the projection and glared at the robot.

"I wasn't kissing it! Now, before we find Starrick, I have to buy some decent clothes. I can't run around the streets of London wearing jeans and a dirty shirt."

I.B let out an unsatisfied groan.

"Girls and shopping," he silently murmured.

Ruby decided to ignore the robot and walked out of the alleyway. I.B followed her closely, latching onto her shoulder, to Ruby's surprise. The two of them walked into a clothing shop. Half an hour later and a lot of suspicious glances from the shopkeeper and the customers, Ruby walked out of the store wearing a new outfit. She outright had refused to purchase a dress, seeing how confined and restricted her movements would have been. Instead, she settled for a pair of black trousers and a white collared shirt, which she had tucked in. A black hat rested on her head, completing the look. 

"Alright. We have enough money to last us for a few weeks, should it be necessary. Off to find Starrick!" Ruby confidently said, pumping her fist into the air and started walking.

"A few weeks? I have to be potentially stuck with you for that long?" I.B groaned, latching off her shoulder and flying into her satchel.

"Oh stop complaining. You are a robot. A robot with personality issues and lack of manners," Ruby added, walking down the street.

She looked around herself, admiring the streets. Everyone was busy running their own errands and now that Ruby was wearing clothes that blended her in with the crowd, no one glanced at her suspiciously. I.B decided to stay in the satchel, something that Ruby was secretly glad about. She did not want to chase the robot down the street, and cause attention to herself. She was admiring a poster on the side of a building when she was almost knocked over by a woman and a man climbing up the wall that she was standing in front of.

"Hey!" Ruby shouted out, but was ignored by them as they climbed up and disappeared from her view.

Shaking her head, she started walking along the road again. She stopped in her tracks as she heard a male voice coming from the rooftop.

"Two Assassins. Equal in height. One female, one male. Two decades old, and those devilish smiles. You must be the Frye twins."

A/N

Chapter 2 complete! Are you guys enjoying this? Are the chapters too short or too long? I somewhat have an idea where I am going with this now, but my ideas might change completely... Comment down below on what you thought of this chapter.