SEVENTEEN

Pony

"The truth is, you've always knew what you had

"The truth is, you've always knew what you had. You just didn't know you were going to lose it."
{unknown}

//

I SAW KIERAN laying on the bed, lifeless, and my heart felt like it shattered into a million pieces. I promised Derek I would take care of her, and I did the exact opposite. Now, she's probably going to die and it's all because of me. I grabbed her pale, fragile hand and gently intertwined our fingers, planting a kiss on the back of her hand.

Once I stood up, Derek had to catch me from falling. I felt extremely light-headed, and my vision was a blur from all of the crying. "Here, you need to sit down." He instructed and pushed me down into the chair. He tossed me a water bottle, and I caught it, barely. 

I took a sip and cleared my throat. "When are the others coming?"

"They'll be here soon. Her grandpa sounded like he about had a heart attack when I told him. Poor guy, he's been through so much, I'm surprised he hasn't gone mad yet."

I closed my eyes and let my head fall back, it made a thump against the wall. "I'm sorry, Derek."

He knitted his eyebrows in confusion and sat on the edge of the hospital bed, facing towards me. "What do you mean you're sorry? You couldn't have stopped her, Pony. It's not your fault."

I shook my head and rubbed my hands across my face and through my hair, "No, I promised you I wouldn't let her get hurt, and now here we are. If I wouldn't have suggested going there in the first place, then this wouldn't have happened."

Derek gave a light chuckle. He gave Kieran's hand a light squeeze, hoping to see her move, but nothing happened. He gave a sad sigh and walked over to me, putting his hand on my shoulder. "This was not your fault, Ponyboy. If you keep blaming this on yourself, you'll go out of your mind. Kieran was the one that pushed you out of the way, and if she wouldn't have done that, you'd be in the same position as her right now. So, be thankful that Kieran loves you enough to risk her life for you. After all, she doesn't love a lot of people after what she's been through."

A small grin played across my lips, but faded when Kieran's grandpa and the gang entered the room. Her Gramps walked over slowly, he looked so fragile and broken that if you touched him, it would seem as if he would crumple over on the floor.

He glanced at Kieran's lifeless exterior and broke down in a heap of tears.

All of the guys were in tears, including, Dally. Kieran told me that they were fake dating, but I think Dally actually had feelings for her too, which makes everything worse.